• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inevitable?

66 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, WoodenJefferson said:

Who ever pays the stupidest money gets to make that choice.

The highest bidder isn't necessarily paying "stupidest money" for the coin. And, while I have no idea whether it would upgrade, it looks very attractive.

I like it at 65, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were 66. 

That appears to be an attractive and well struck coin. The premium on it is kinda ridiculous - but there is apparently more than one person willing to pay moon money for that one. 

4 hours ago, WoodenJefferson said:

According to Coin Facts, the big jump doesn't happen until you go from 66 to 67 on the 40-S

The jump from 66 to 67 is not just big but rather astronomical to me... lol

12 hours ago, erwindoc said:

Stars bring big bucks!

If plastic was a factor, I don't think the current plastic (i.e. star designated NGC holder) was the driving force behind the premium.  The driving force would be the plastic it will likely end up in.   This is the type of toning that I routinely see color bumped by PCGS as much as 1.5-2 points.  It might take a few submissions, but I would not be surprised to see this coin in a PCGS MS66+ or even MS67 holder.

6 minutes ago, Afterword said:

http://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/437272/1940-S-Walking-Liberty-Half-Dollar-NGC-MS-65-226-152-133-The-Renaissance-Era-Label-Toned

What drove the price up on this Walking Liberty? The star, the attractive toning or the prospect of a grade bump? 

In my opinion, the toning and the prospect of a payday from a color bump were the major factors at play.   I would really be surprised if this doesn't end up in a PCGS holder with a higher grade. 

I was watching this coin to see what it would bring.  The buyer paid beyond 66 money for it, anyway.  If he were to get it into a PC 66 holder; he would still not be ahead.  It looks 66 quality to me.  The only distractions on the obverse are the marks on the sun.  There is some chatter on the eagle's wings on the reverse, too.  The color is just phenomenal and the fields are pristine.  Personally, I like the star and the 'Renaissance Era' slab, so I'd leave it be but that's just me.  I care less about insert numbers and slab brands than some others do.  Just a stunning Walker!! 

1 hour ago, Afterword said:

If eye appeal was not a part of the grading process, making a grade bump less likely, would the coin have brought as much money?

The coin still likely would have brought a strong premium.  Attractive rainbow toned Liberty Walking half dollars are very tough coins.  Coins with substantial toning on either side, let alone the obverse which is the side that most toning enthusiasts prefer or even both sides, are even rarer.  The coin also had other things going for it: it is a gem and a better date.  Even without the prospect of a color bump, I would have expected this coin to have fetched a very strong premium.  I personally was thinking more along the lines of $1500-$1800, but $2090 isn't out of the ballpark IMO.   I have seen common date coins with toning not as nice with asking prices in the $2000 range in MS65-MS66 holders from major coin dealers.

10 minutes ago, coinman_23885 said:

The coin still likely would have brought a strong premium.  Attractive rainbow toned Liberty Walking half dollars are very tough coins.  Coins with substantial toning on either side, let alone the obverse which is the side that most toning enthusiasts prefer, are even rarer.  The coin also had other things going for it: it is a gem and a better date.  Even without the prospect of a color bump, I would have expected this coin to have fetched a very strong premium.  I personally was thinking more along the lines of $1500-$1800, but $2090 isn't out of the ballpark IMO.   I have seen common date coins with toning not as nice with asking prices in the $2000 range in MS65-MS66 holders.

I am sure it would have brought a strong premium, but I doubt it would have been has strong without the prospect of a grade bump.

16 minutes ago, Walkerfan said:

The buyer paid beyond 66 money for it, anyway.  If he were to get it into a PC 66 holder; he would still not be ahead.

I think it likely, that if it were in a MS66 holder, it would bring close to MS67 money.

6 minutes ago, Afterword said:

I am sure it would have brought a strong premium, but I doubt it would have been has strong without the prospect of a grade bump.

The toning market on high-end toners is strong.  I have sold common date Morgan dollars with little prospect of any additional color bump for over $2k.   I know that isn't a WLH, but those are even tougher, and I think there are more than enough toning enthusiasts who would also pursue a WLH. With that said, there is really no way to know.  Two bidders pushed the coin above $1500 and both tied with high bids of $1900 plus juice.  Unless those two individuals come forward, we can only speculate.

Just now, Afterword said:

I think it likely, that if it were in a MS66 holder, it would bring close to MS67 money.

I don't think so, as the jump from 66 to 67 is astronomical.  i.e. over $25K.  I don't think the coin would 67 but I could be wrong.  Big gamble imho. 

3 minutes ago, coinman_23885 said:

The toning market on high-end toners is strong.  I have sold common date Morgan dollars with little prospect of any additional color bump for over $2k.  With that said, there is really no way to know.  Two bidders pushed the coin above $1500 and both tied with high bids of $1900 plus juice.  Unless those two individuals come forward, we can only speculate.

Yes, my personal opinion is that the premium was paid for the color and not the potential grade bump. 

6 minutes ago, Walkerfan said:

I don't think so, as the jump from 66 to 67 is astronomical.  i.e. over $25K.  I don't think the coin would 67 but I could be wrong.  Big gamble imho. 

The value for generic 67s has really come down in the last 3 years.  The price guide value is $12k in 67, $27.5k in 67+.  The last generic in 67 PCGS plastic fetched $9,400.  I still agree that I don't see 67 money for it if it comes back in a 66 or 66+ holder.  With the color, I don't see much downside, however.  If properly marketed, I think the high bidder could recoup his or her money without too much hassle. 

5 minutes ago, coinman_23885 said:

The value for generic 67s has really come down in the last 3 years.  The price guide value is $12k in 67, $27.5k in 67+.  The last generic in 67 PCGS plastic fetched $9,400.  I still agree that I don't see 67 money for it if it comes back in a 66 or 66+ holder.  With the color, I don't see much downside, however.  If properly marketed, I think the high bidder could recoup his or her money without too much hassle. 

You're right!  I just remembered the $25K that I quoted was for a 67+ and not a 67. 

13 minutes ago, coinman_23885 said:

The toning market on high-end toners is strong.  I have sold common date Morgan dollars with little prospect of any additional color bump for over $2k.

The Walking Liberty in question does, however, possess the potential for a color bump.

12 minutes ago, Walkerfan said:

You're right!  I just remembered the $25K that I quoted was for a 67+ and not a 67. 

19 minutes ago, coinman_23885 said:

Just to clarify, I stated it would likely bring close to MS67 money in a MS66 holder.

Toned Morgans are common. Toned Walking Libertys are not, especially of the quality of the coin in question. But perhaps I am over estimating its potential.

18 minutes ago, Afterword said:

Toned Morgans are common. Toned Walking Libertys are not, especially of the quality of the coin in question. But perhaps I am over estimating its potential.

Agreed.  That is what I was getting at; if I can get approximately $2k for a maxed out (grade wise) Morgan, $2090 for a monster gem 1940s doesn't seem that unrealistic even discounting the upgrade prospect of the latter.

4 minutes ago, coinman_23885 said:

Agreed.  That is what I was getting at; if I can get approximately $2k for a maxed out (grade wise) Morgan, $2090 for a monster gem 1940s doesn't seem that unrealistic even discounting the upgrade prospect of the latter.

I still find it difficult to believe a knowledgeable collector could fail to consider the possibility of a grade bump when determining how much they are willing to bid. Would you have failed to do so?