• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

News about CollectiveCoin

3 posts in this topic

There was some discussion recently about CollectiveCoin going out of business. Around the same time that NGC announced their short-sighted and idiotic new Registry policy changes, many offered CollectiveCoin as an alternative to the NGC Registry. The problem was, however, CollectiveCoin was supposed to be shutting down in March. 

Well.... Good News, everybody. Stacks Bowers has purchased the site: http://www.coinweek.com/dealers-companies/stacks-bowers-dealers/coin-industry-news-stacks-bowers-galleries-acquires-collectivecoin-com/ 

I am hoping that they can expand the site beyond just a simple image hosting service. I'm hoping that something great comes out of this. I'll reserve judgement until I see more (since, let's be honest, the Stacks Bowers website has been broken for years and is only now barely functional). However, I know many of you use the site, and I am glad that this is still a collector-focused option. I was considering transitioning all of my sets to CollectiveCoin when the NGC news came out, but I hesitated because it was closing.

Now that it is going to stay open, maybe I will move there? 

Hmm... Stacks-Bowers took how many months to finally work the kinks out its website and at what potential costs to its consignors?  I hope I am wrong, but I think this is the kiss of death to Collective Coin.  It might have been able to overcome its overhead issues with donations, surcharges on sales, etc., but I don't think it can overcome Stacks-Bowers's dreadful web programmers.