• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Decision

6 posts in this topic

I am trying to find out if my coins are worth grading. I have 2 MS 1974-D Eisenhower Dollars. I know they are not worth that much unless they grade very high and I'm no coin grader. However, I have compared the coins to several others graded at an MS62-MS67 and I believe that they would grade at an MS66 or higher. Now the decision is, whether or not to pay the value of the coin to have it graded or not. I do take the chance at it being graded at and MS68 and it would be the only one KTE. what are your thoughts?

If it has any marks at all it wont grade a ms68. For an eisenhower that would be a rare thing. If you only have mint set cost in them and they are almost mark free

then it would a grading candidate. However if you are only sending in a couple of coins the shipping, insurance and handling fee makes the cost go way up per coin.

If you are thinking that the 2 coins are high grade then it is worth taking a risk. I usually  store the few I find until I have at least 20 or more to send in. Put the ones you found in 2 1/2" X 2 1/2" poly flips  and set aside till you find some more. Minimum submission is 5 coins.

If you wish to send in just the 2 coins then you could contact a submitter like myself and piggyback on a submission. I have no problem adding your coins to a massive submission when I send one in. :)

My Eisenhower stash has around 18 coins saved for possible submission candidates.

Whatever your decision ---- Good Luck (thumbsu

Can you take pictures and post them here? We can't tell you definitely what they would grade, but we may be able to give you some better guidance. If it would grade 66, it may be worth it - but the higher grade coins are valuable precisely because they are so scarce. This means your odds of getting that grade are low... 

On 3/5/2017 at 11:34 AM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Can you take pictures and post them here? We can't tell you definitely what they would grade, but we may be able to give you some better guidance. If it would grade 66, it may be worth it - but the higher grade coins are valuable precisely because they are so scarce. This means your odds of getting that grade are low... 

Not according to Mark Salzberg if you submit to PCGS... :devil: