• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1881-CC Photography

4 posts in this topic

I am experimenting with photographing Morgan Dollars. I tried coupe different lighting arrangements and ended up with two types of images of the same coin. 

I would take some help in figuring out which of the pictures is of more high quality (like Heritage's photos).

I would also like to ask for help in taking better pictures of Morgan dollars, any tips and guidelines are appreciated.

Are there any videos or how to's on taking photos from places like Heritage / Stacks / PCGS etc?

It looks like they enhance most photos with tools, but they have the perfect lighting set up, very professional.

Thank you!

Lighting arrangement #1 and #2

54ba2286cc.jpg   54ba3ba765.jpg

I would suggest getting this book by numismatic photographer extraordinaire, Mark Goodman:  https://www.amazon.com/Numismatic-Photography-2nd-Mark-Goodman/dp/193399004X

With respect to the dollar you imaged - only you know what it really looks like and which picture, if either, captures its appearance accurately.

Mark Goodman's book on numismatic photography is an extremely valuable resource, and if you follow his advice you'll become a better photographer quickly. 

I'll say though, the right images are clearly superior to the left images. The focus, contrast, and lighting are all better.