• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on this Morgan please

21 posts in this topic

Based on the images, I would guess AU58, but wouldn't be shocked if it graded as high as MS63. The coin looks familiar - did you post it previously, with a few others, before it was graded?

I guess I'm missing it. Can you be more specific? Thanks. Lots of hit and only one reply. You guys have some secret club I have to join or something?

Sorry I got distracted staring at your dancing broccoli rabe. Coin is ugly IMO. Would not buy.

What looks like wear might be unstruck areas or it might just be wear as it does have a different tone to those high points.

I'd pass on this unless it was offered for low AU money.

It looks like a pretty original AU coin. With circulated Morgans, you especially want to avoid hairlines and it's hard to see any on this one. If it's priced well then go for it. Looks like an NGC coin from the white prongs though.

For an AU coin, it looks pretty good. My first reaction when I saw it was 55, so glad to know I'm on the right track.

An AU coin should have a bit of toning. It shouldn't be blast white. It's not the most attractive thing I've ever seen, but I don't think it looks too bad.

The key will be how much luster is left. There should be a good bit of luster, but my concern is that the thick toning will impede that. Impossible to tell from those pictures, of course. If the luster is strong, I think you'd do fine buying it for a 55 price (not a strong price, an average price). If the luster is weak, I'd pass.

That's way too much for that coin. Auction records are between $223 and $270 for AU55 90-CCs and NGC is in the low end of that range. Use NGC's realized prices, PCGS CoinFacts and Heritage archives for pricing info. You did just fine to pass on that one. It looked nice but these are common.

Looks like it sold. He was asking $289.00. Don't know if I should have gotten it or not now.

Thing, I don't know if you are a member of Heritage. I highly recommend that you join (it is free), but it gives you access to their auction archives. This is an extremely valuable tool that will tell you what coins have sold for. The coin in your OP is a fairly common coin. I realize that the NGC price guide says $315 in AU-55..... However, if you look at actual sales, you'll see that AU-55's sold over the past year range from about $225 to about $275. The price you quote is an AU-58 price (and is thus too high for the coin you were looking at). You can see them here: https://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Ne=16&N=51+790+231+315+4025+1580+4704&ic4=Refine-CoinGrade-102615

Given that there is some debate about the actual appeal of this coin (many think it is unattractive), and given that the seller was asking a strong price... I'd say you did well to pass on this coin.

Keep in mind that Heritage archives show sales of coins at auction and don't reflect dealer sales and personal transactions which can be considerably higher and sometimes end up being high end coins. You can also protect yourself by bidding on fourth party verified material (CAC). Often times these auction companies are considered dumping grounds for low end coins. Ssshhhh.... don't tell anyone. I regularly track lots that appear incredible for the grade but they end up selling at or above the higher end. Caution is advised if you don't have coin in hand.