• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Liberty Nickel with stamping on it????

6 posts in this topic

I was going through my collection and saw a #4 on front and an "E" stamped on the back into my liberty nickel. It really took a lot of effort to stamp this coin as the stamps are very deep. Just was wondering if this might be a way of the US mint stamping it for destruction and maybe had it slip through. The coin is probably a G6 or better which probably may or may not matter. I really like the look of the coin because the stamp appears to be as old as the coin. Any help on this is appreciated.

This could have been used for a marker like a mine entrance tag or a million other uses or just a test sampling of the punches. It's what is deemed as a 'post mint' alteration.

Got any pics?

Over the years many people who want to play with a metal punch (give your average male a metal punch and a mallet and see what happens) have chosen to use the most convenient source of a piece of metal...a coin from their pocket. Afterwards they just spend it.

Over the years many people who want to play with a metal punch (give your average male a metal punch and a mallet and see what happens) have chosen to use the most convenient source of a piece of metal...a coin from their pocket. Afterwards they just spend it.

I think you may have implicitly discussed some of the psychology behind DCarr's operation in your comment. :devil: