• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

South Africa - 1897 6 Pence Question

3 posts in this topic

Good morning!

Just picked up this 1897 Sixpence yesterday...and it has my curiosity piqued.

Overall, the details on this coin are very sharp (especially the denticles) and the fields are definitely proof like. Yes, it has its flaws - couple scratches, some hairlines - but it doesn't look (in hand, at least) like it has been polished.

My question to the board is...do you think this is a proof specimen? Listed as "rare" in the Krause manual. I have found that both a gold and silver version were made with a proof strike.

South%20Africa%20-%201897%206%20Pence_zpsg1caafv3.jpg

So, what do you think?

On 1/24/2017 at 10:43 PM, stldanceartist said:

Good morning!

Just picked up this 1897 Sixpence yesterday...and it has my curiosity piqued.

Overall, the details on this coin are very sharp (especially the denticles) and the fields are definitely proof like. Yes, it has its flaws - couple scratches, some hairlines - but it doesn't look (in hand, at least) like it has been polished.

My question to the board is...do you think this is a proof specimen? Listed as "rare" in the Krause manual. I have found that both a gold and silver version were made with a proof strike.

South%20Africa%20-%201897%206%20Pence_zpsg1caafv3.jpg

So, what do you think?

Not a proof - 220,000 mintaged. No proofs. Only proofs made for 1892. Pity scratched.

The coin in the image looks like it has been polished or if not, cleaned to make it look mirrored like a proof.  I also once owned an 1897 which was PL on the obverse and maybe this one is like it.

Not having my guidebook with me, my recollection is that there are two or maybe three "pattern" 6D dated 1897.  One is gold, one is copper and if a third, it is silver.   Each is unique to my recollection.  I believe they look identical to the regular issue but the Hern Handbook doesn't include images.  Heritage sold the gold one a few years ago and it can be viewed in their archive.