Red book vs Blue book

16 posts in this topic

36,921 posts

I've been attending a lot of auctions since I retired and coins are almost always a big part of them.

I see some people using red books, others using blue one.

Can someone give a brief explanation of the differences, and which would be better for me to buy?

Thanks.

192 posts

In 25 words or less, Red Book reflects retail values, Blue Book reflects wholesale values, sort of..

The Red Book would be preferred in my opinion because of the detailed information available in addition to prices.

11,795 posts

I would buy a Red Book -- or the "Guide Book of United States Coins." Mao's

"Little Red Book" doesn't have current coin values, and the Blue Book is ... well...how do you say it in French?

14,787 posts

Neither of these books should be used for price or value. The prices are locked months in advance of printing, and may be a year or more out of date by the time you use it.

The RedBook is useful for mintage and background information.

The Blue Book is not useful for much of anything, and I'm not sure why it is still printed.

5,211 posts
Neither of these books should be used for price or value. The prices are locked months in advance of printing, and may be a year or more out of date by the time you use it.

The Blue Book is not useful for much of anything, and I'm not sure why it is still printed.

a few others that i know wonder why that blue book is still around as well. i have no use for it but what ever suits the person. just saying.

7,748 posts

The blue book is still around because enough people still buy it to make it profitable to Whitman to publish it.

3,300 posts

The Red Book is vital and fairly comprehensive guide to US coins, I know dealers who don't consider coin a "variety" unless it is in there.

From what I have seen the Blue Book is just rock bottom pricewise, maybe the same % under Red Book year to year, so they just print the same propaganda to give false hope that buyers could get no problem coins for those prices. At least the Farmer's Almanac has some poetry and prose that make it interesting.

115 posts

Red Book = Market Value at that point in time. Blue Book can be used as a quick buying reference when making an offer on an estate.

2,281 posts

Both are simply a guidebook for US coins. They provide coin populations and will help you understand important varieties.

Neither of these publications is worth much at all when it comes to buying coins at auction since auction prices for the vast majority of coins are most often lower than the prices published in these handbooks.

I see auction participants often who show up with the publication "Coin Prices", while closer, it's also off on most coins.

For common coins a used Grey Sheet's "bid" prices are accurate at least 90% of the time. For rare and unique coins researching auction prices through Heritage or the PCGS web page will provide an actual history you can use as a guidepost.

782 posts

Red book is a valuable text but cannot be used for determining values. Don't forget that a coin is only worth what someone will pay for it.

2,542 posts

Some Brick and Mortars use it for buying offers.

I remember taking a few bucks in 90% silver to one place and they offered me 50% of melt.

9,070 posts

The Red Book lists the prices dealers wish they could sell their coins for; the Blue Book lists the prices dealers wish they could buy coins for to include them in inventory. The last time I bothered looking at either for pricing information, neither seem realistic.

10,721 posts

I agree with this statement. The Red Book contains a lot of useful information, and I still use it every day to look up mintages and general information.

I have viewed the Blue Book as useless from the time I was a YN in the 1960s. I have built a complete set of Red Books and have kept many of the copies I used in the 1960s - except that ones that fell apart ... lol. Falling apart was a problem for the Red Book in the 1970s, and I treat the books I have from the era very gingerly when I have to open them for some information.

I don't think I have any old Blue Books around although there might be hiding hiding on bookshelf somewhere.

1 post

The BALD TRUTH in few words :

Red Book Value- what the coin dealer charges you for his coin(s).

Blue Book Value- what the coin dealer offers you for your coin(s).

401 posts

Bought one Blue Book as a kid in the 60's. One and done. Red Book gives a sense of relative value and I have used it just to keep track of want lists, upgrades. The other information it contains is alone worth the modest price.

7,748 posts

The BALD TRUTH in few words :

Red Book Value- what the coin dealer charges you for his coin(s).

Blue Book Value- what the coin dealer offers you for your coin(s).

And the values in neither one bear any relationship to real-life.