• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 3 coins are the photos on the NGC census report!

26 posts in this topic

I just got my coins back from NGC and when I went to the census report for '58-D Franklin halves, there are photos of my coin that just came back MS-66*FBL. Shouldn't I be getting some royalty fees for that (joking)? At least I got a free professional photo of the coin. Check it out here: census report

I've noticed over the past year or more NGC has also been updating foreign coin photos on the NGC World Coin Price Guide. Any high grade type coin that they don't have a nice photo for might end up as a plate coin. I have bought many coins that are featured in the price guide. It's nice to have their uber-high quality photos.

• Administrator

Hi ATF, I actually took the photos of your coins for our site. They were very pretty in hand and I think they look great on Coin Explorer.

Forest City is correct. We have greatly improved our image quality with new equipment and techniques and I have been uploading the new photos just as fast as I can. I also run the NGC Instagram which features some amazing coins!

-Paul

Hi ATF, I actually took the photos of your coins for our site. They were very pretty in hand and I think they look great on Coin Explorer.

Forest City is correct. We have greatly improved our image quality with new equipment and techniques and I have been uploading the new photos just as fast as I can. I also run the NGC Instagram which features some amazing coins!

-Paul

I didn't know NGC was on Instagram, there are some amazing pictures there, I'm now following. Thank you!!

-Paul

Wow! Just found another one of my coins on the census report! How sweet is that? Thanks Paul.

Census report '58-D Dimes

Ans another one! Census report - '58-D Quarter

-Paul

Are these new and improved images just for the paid images, or are the very-low-quality certification verification images also going to be improving? Those have historically been so bad it isn't even funny.

-Paul

Are these new and improved images just for the paid images, or are the very-low-quality certification verification images also going to be improving? Those have historically been so bad it isn't even funny.

Good question. NGC images on the Price Guide and elsewhere are stellar. But the scans (I wouldn't call them photos) of the slabs for verification purposes are utter garbage. PCGS has NGC beat easily in that one category. I would love to see an improvement there. It would seem not hard to at least make them *better* if not great.

• Administrator

-Paul

Good question. NGC images on the Price Guide and elsewhere are stellar. But the scans (I wouldn't call them photos) of the slabs for verification purposes are utter garbage. PCGS has NGC beat easily in that one category. I would love to see an improvement there. It would seem not hard to at least make them *better* if not great.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say PCGS has us beat in slab verification images. They don't do imaging of coins in slabs at all, while we have imaged nearly every coin we've graded since mid-2008. We have literally imaged millions of coins for verification purposes. Those images have also recently been improved, as all the cameras (not scanners) used to take them were also upgraded this year.

Paul

• Administrator
Paul,

Nice work and huge improvement!

Thanks Roger! While I did indeed image these coins, most are actually shot by our head photographer who takes images which are just as nice! Most of the photos on our Instagram our his.

Paul

-Paul

I'm not sure what you mean when you say PCGS has us beat in slab verification images. They don't do imaging of coins in slabs at all, while we have imaged nearly every coin we've graded since mid-2008. We have literally imaged millions of coins for verification purposes. Those images have also recently been improved, as all the cameras (not scanners) used to take them were also upgraded this year.

Paul

I guess in a way I'm comparing apples and oranges, but maybe not quite. I'm comparing the photos of the coins PCGS grades with the gold shield to the NGC verification photos. I realize that not all coins graded at PCGS have the gold shield, and thus a photo. However, I'm told it only costs 5 dollars extra, and a shocking number of low value coins I collect come with the shield. I have a hard time believing sometimes that the collectors/dealers who are sending in a 40 dollar coin are paying that extra 5 dollars every time.

If NGC had the option of a high end photo for 5 extra dollars with grading, I'd pay it for many of my coins, because of the excellent quality photos Paul is producing. I'm not saying his photos are only worth 5 dollars each, but that is what the competition is at. I have specifically gone after many coins photoed on the Price Guide just because I like having the plate coin with the amazing photo.

• Administrator

-Paul

Paul

I guess in a way I'm comparing apples and oranges, but maybe not quite. I'm comparing the photos of the coins PCGS grades with the gold shield to the NGC verification photos. I realize that not all coins graded at PCGS have the gold shield, and thus a photo. However, I'm told it only costs 5 dollars extra, and a shocking number of low value coins I collect come with the shield. I have a hard time believing sometimes that the collectors/dealers who are sending in a 40 dollar coin are paying that extra 5 dollars every time.

If NGC had the option of a high end photo for 5 extra dollars with grading, I'd pay it for many of my coins, because of the excellent quality photos Paul is producing. I'm not saying his photos are only worth 5 dollars each, but that is what the competition is at. I have specifically gone after many coins photoed on the Price Guide just because I like having the plate coin with the amazing photo.

Thanks for your thoughts. I will talk to some people at work to see if this is something we could make happen. Right now, the only option would be PhotoVision at $15 each, and I believe you might have to request the coin be shot outside of the holder. However, if you send in coins which are exceptional, they very well may be flagged for imaging by the graders.

-Paul

RE: "...most are actually shot by our head photographer..."

Paul - So you have one photographer for the "heads" side and another for the "tails" side! Wow, that is true specialization! Any "edge" photographers there?

:)

we have imaged nearly every coin we've graded since mid-2008. We have literally imaged millions of coins for verification purposes. Those images have also recently been improved, as all the cameras (not scanners) used to take them were also upgraded this year.

Paul

Thanks Paul, looking forward to seeing these new pictures. I think people just assumed the old pictures were scans because they were so incredibly bad that we couldn't believe they were actually pictures.

• Administrator
RE: "...most are actually shot by our head photographer..."

Paul - So you have one photographer for the "heads" side and another for the "tails" side! Wow, that is true specialization! Any "edge" photographers there?

:)

Of course not, that would be ridiculous. ;)

-Paul

• Administrator

we have imaged nearly every coin we've graded since mid-2008. We have literally imaged millions of coins for verification purposes. Those images have also recently been improved, as all the cameras (not scanners) used to take them were also upgraded this year.

Paul

Thanks Paul, looking forward to seeing these new pictures. I think people just assumed the old pictures were scans because they were so incredibly bad that we couldn't believe they were actually pictures.

I believe the old slab photos were taken 4 at a time with a relatively low-megapixel camera by today's standards. Now we have moved to only shooting two at a time with a state-of-the-art camera, allowing for the large 1800px by 2480px cert verification images you see today!

-Paul