• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG 1896-S Quarter

8 posts in this topic

As coinmain said, the obverse is clearly stronger than the reverse. I'd probably grade the obverse AG-03+, the reverse FR-02. Normally, the obverse will carry the grade. However, in this case I think that the reverse is low enough that it will bring it down to FR-2 overall.

However, that being said - Coinman pretty much nailed the grading contest a few days ago, and I was generally a point low..... so I wouldn't be surprised to see this in an AG-03 holder (even if I disagree).

Alright, time for the big reveal!

This coin is graded Fair 2.

As stated the obverse is better than the reverse and is likely knocking it down a grade. Thankfully, I have very little invested in this, so it will be submitted for regrade soon in hopes of getting AG3 on the holder. Considering the large price difference between FA2 and AG3 I think it's worth a shot.

Thank you for all of your input! I have several other coins I'll be posting soon.