1776 Continental Currency- Real or Fake??
10 10

65 posts in this topic

4,753 posts
24 minutes ago, CathyK said:

Can anyone tell me if this is a fake?

20190731_092010.jpg

It is a copy, probably from a souvenir shop.

Edited by Just Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,673 posts

If you look between the date and the C in CONTINENTAL I believe you will see a small R punched into it.  That R stands for Replica.  It was an alternate method of marking copies before the Hobby Protection Act in 1973.  It was also a common way of marking copies or English manufacture.  This piece definitely predates the HPA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,863 posts
3 hours ago, EleMint Man said:

If it isn't in a holder, it's fake. Super rare in any condition with only 6,000 minted approx.

179615_slab.png

While you’re going to be correct in the vast majority of cases, that’s still an unnecessary and misleading exaggeration. There are still a number of extremely rare coins that have not yet been graded and they turn up from time to time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
155 posts
On 8/6/2019 at 5:49 AM, MarkFeld said:

While you’re going to be correct in the vast majority of cases, that’s still an unnecessary and misleading exaggeration. There are still a number of extremely rare coins that have not yet been graded and they turn up from time to time.

I was thinking of discouraging beginner and intermediate collectors from buying fakes or replicas at high prices. I should have written "If it isn't in a holder, it's more than likely it's a fake or a replica."

 

Edited by EleMint Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,863 posts
7 hours ago, EleMint Man said:

I was thinking of discouraging beginner and intermediate collectors from buying fakes or replicas at high prices. I should have written "If it isn't in a holder, it's more than likely it's a fake or a replica."

 

(thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,673 posts

Yes that one is a fake.

On 8/7/2019 at 11:43 PM, EleMint Man said:

I should have written "If it isn't in a holder, it's more than likely it's a fake or a replica."

For these that is usually true, but it wasn't that long ago that one bought at a flea market for a dollar turned out the be real and was slabbed as a MS-64.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,863 posts
4 hours ago, Kali555 said:

Hi, can someone give his/her opinion on this one?

IMG_8846.JPG

IMG_8848.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

1776_Continental_Curency (4).jpg

It’s a copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 posts

Going through my families coin collection trying to organize it all and came across 2 of these Continental Coins. 

How are you determining fakes so easily?

Here are the 2. I have questions on about 200 other coins in the collection as well haha.

Thanks in advance. Much appreciation.

20191118_170753.jpg

20191118_170736.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,593 posts

I'm afraid that your two examples are also replica castings. See how grainy (Lumpy) the surfaces are ?

Look at the PCGS certified example. See how 'crisp' the lettering is, and how 'smooth' the field areas are ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,673 posts

thebeav is correct, and the second one is marked with an R for replica between the C and the 1 in the date. This was a common way of marking copies before the Hobby Protection Act of 1973.  It was also a common way  in Britain.of marking copies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 post

 Hey guys sorry to add more to the list of replicas. There is a T stamped under the dial that I believe gives it away but I am new to this. My mother is cleaning out her mother's house and this was in with all these other old coins. Let me know what you think. I have no way to weigh it right now so I don't know if it fits the range of the real ones. It looks grainy but the edge seems different from all of the other replicas I have seen. Let me know what you think!

10696.jpeg

10697.jpeg

10698.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,863 posts
43 minutes ago, MrGiDdY said:

 Hey guys sorry to add more to the list of replicas. There is a T stamped under the dial that I believe gives it away but I am new to this. My mother is cleaning out her mother's house and this was in with all these other old coins. Let me know what you think. I have no way to weigh it right now so I don't know if it fits the range of the real ones. It looks grainy but the edge seems different from all of the other replicas I have seen. Let me know what you think!

10696.jpeg

10697.jpeg

10698.jpeg

It is also a copy with no numismatic value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,593 posts

Another mushy casting.....sorry......

 

You know, with the massive quanity of these that have been produced,
 (I bought my first one as a kid in the 60's at our 'Historical Building'),
 can you imagine the excitement that runs through the house when someone
 finds one in grandpas old cigar box?
It really is a little sad......

Edited by thebeav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 post

I too have one of these. See likely from the previous posts to be a restrike/fake. There is no r found near the date. However, when I look at real example on the PCGS website, I see the letters look punched or indented whereas the fake examples shown here have raised letters (as does mine). Is that accurate?

 

coin.thumb.jpg.c4516dc80ffb7efcd8f35a44f45b24e5.jpg

Edited by spare_change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 post

Hi, I have a coin my father found when I was young, I have had it for over 40 yrs. I am not sure how to tell if it is a fake. Unfortunately about 15 yrs ago my father in law cleaned it using baking soda and water. I later read that you should never clean a coin. Not sure if that has affected the color on the patina. I can’t tell if this coin is silver or pewter. I weighed it yesterday and it comes in at 19. Can someone tell if this coin is a fake?

2410421C-34A9-4D0F-9F90-A717649C932B.jpeg

DA4B4694-17A1-4E74-A24E-DAB84F0C9825.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,094 posts
On 2/27/2020 at 9:33 AM, Michele123 said:

Hi, I have a coin my father found when I was young, I have had it for over 40 yrs. I am not sure how to tell if it is a fake. Unfortunately about 15 yrs ago my father in law cleaned it using baking soda and water. I later read that you should never clean a coin. Not sure if that has affected the color on the patina. I can’t tell if this coin is silver or pewter. I weighed it yesterday and it comes in at 19. Can someone tell if this coin is a fake?

 

 

The good news is that him having cleaned it doesn't pose a problem in this case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
10 10