• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC no longer accepting new PCGS coins after 1/1/17

5 posts in this topic

Not a fan! I can see their point though. Glad the ones I own will already be kept. Not quite sure how I will proceed in the future as I build my sets. There are lots of great coins by both companies in addition to a few dogs!

Well...since I'm on the World side of the fence and I've never liked PCGS at all for either my collecting or my selling, this doesn't impact me much, but I find it interesting and I'm highly in favor of it as well. What NGC stated, that other grading services have different standards is absolutely correct. I've seen it. So I completely understand NGC's decision. This protects their product and the quality of their Registry as it ensures that all of the coins are on an equal footing and graded using the same standards.

Here's the area where I think I may feel some impact. This is going to close the price gap between NGC and PCGS coins. From what I have seen, the main reason for the gap, where it exists, is because PCGS has only allowed their coins in their Registry. Now that NGC has made the same decision, NGC coins have the same advantage. Actually, they have more of an advantage. The NGC Registry is far superior to the PCGS Registry in my opinion. There are more set options and I find the format of it to be vastly better. This is great for those of us who both collect and sell NGC coins. I do both, so I'm thrilled by this change!!

I also think that NGC is being quite fair in allowing US collectors to keep the PCGS coins that are currently in the Registry and giving them some time before the deadline to make changes. They're not just making the change and pulling the rug out from under you guys. I really doubt that PCGS would handle things in such a fair and considerate way. All in all, this completely solidifies my thoughts that NGC is really the best in the business. I'm sorry for anyone who is negatively impacted by this. I know we all work hard on our collections, investing time and money.

Just my thoughts

~Tom

I believe this is a poor decision by NGC. With PCGS poor response to milk spots appearing on their encapsulated silver coins NGC became the prime choice for slabbing decisions. They are winning the business war with better slabs and better service. The differences in grading norms between the TPGs can be easily observed by checking the census results. As an example, PCGS appears to have tighter standards for Platinum Eagles whereas NGC is tighter on Johnson Reverse Proof dollars. By having competition between only NGC coins and mixed the options were up to the collector. For certain sets the new rule will diminish the collection of sets based the availability of coins, such as the Missing Edge Lettering Presidential dollars.

An even more disturbing trend is the awarding of more points in the registry competition based on label. To award more points based on FDI or Early Release or First Release is departing from coin collecting (example is the Presidential Proof Dollars).

Another area of concern is the inclusion of varieties in the set competitions. The policy is seems to vary among the sets. The arguments put forth for the Light Finish Varieties by Ali should be an embarrassment NGC.

NGC should put forth issues of concern to collectors to a simple VOTE. What do other collectors really think about some of these issues?