• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BEAUTIFULLY-TONED SLQ....................

42 posts in this topic

I guess this example belongs here given the other posts...

pcgs_toning_ASE_zpskbm7mfxh.jpg

Yet receives a grade of 68. No grade should have been stated at all, in my opinion. it seems silly to do so, and then state indecision concerning the color. What does the 68 represent, a market grade or a technical grade? If both types of grading rely in part on color, then it is very misleading to state a grade and an opinion of questionable color at the same time. That is avoidance.

I think you missed the point. That being, the basement grading company was both more conservative in their numerical assessment (MS68) and more forthright with the surface conditions (Questionable Color) than was PCGS.

Not every grading company follows the philosophy of NGC and PCGS with regard to "details" or questionably authentic coin surfaces. You have raised a question of philosophy of grading (should a problem coin still be given a numeric grade) -- ANACS also assigns numeric grades to details graded coins.

Not sure it really matters in the case of this ASE -- it is as artificially toned as I have seen, yet PCGS must have graded it in the dark to arrive at the MS69 (problem free) assessment.

lol

No, I didn't miss the point, but I appreciate you stating my point with a bit more eloquence and end proof statement of the illogical logic posit I presented.

It is not philosophy. It is a logic posit ( an illogical one, to be clear). An opinion was made. It was paid for. It is a respected TPG. the respected TPG does not think it is AT, yet you do. Which opinion is illogical logic?

Basement grading has no consideration in the logic posit.

"Problem" coins receive grades as a matter of review, strike, eye appeal, dings, boulder hits, etc. It is scaled grading. That is not an issue of philosophy. It is an issue of market/technical grading, as is color. Assigning a grade and at the same time stating a questionable surface, is illogical logic. See the difference?

How is PCGS less forthright in their opinion? Because you say so? That is illogical logic, because it is an opinion, no different than your opinion.

When a TPG mixes both a grade (market or technical) and questionable toning commentary, it negates the point of either method of grading, since color consideration is inherent in both methods. It is misleading, and not logical.

I think you and I have a philosophical difference of the definition of logic. That is not the same as a difference of opinion of grade, numerical or otherwise.

Here's the latest (well, as of a couple of years ago) on this silver eagle:

<a  href=HYdYy7y.jpg?1' alt='HYdYy7y.jpg?1'>

I heard that you turned down $5k for it in the MS69 holder. Is that true?

That is accurate.

I was happy to crack out and re-submit this one with PCGS although mildly surprised when it was returned as it stands now.

Hell, I'm so confused, is it a proof or a MS coin?

It is 100% an MS coin, not a proof. No idea how PCGS came to their "Proof" determination. Bizarre...

:facepalm:

Hell, I'm so confused, is it a proof or a MS coin?

It is 100% an MS coin, not a proof. No idea how PCGS came to their "Proof" determination. Bizarre...

:facepalm:

After pondering on this for a week, I've determined the slab has PROOF written on it as proof the Eagle is genuine, not that it's a PF coin. Kind of make sense in a strange way. Would look mighty impressive to a novice or people don't don't know numismatics from pnuematics.

:makepoint:

Here's the latest (well, as of a couple of years ago) on this silver eagle:

<a  href=HYdYy7y.jpg?1' alt='HYdYy7y.jpg?1'>

I heard that you turned down $5k for it in the MS69 holder. Is that true?

That is accurate.

I was happy to crack out and re-submit this one with PCGS although mildly surprised when it was returned as it stands now.

Wonderful coin. I remember when it was listed on the bay but I wasn't quick enough! Definitely one to remember. The color seems very stable over the years.