• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1964 Morgan

63 posts in this topic

Got some yesterday but in two seperate orders so I paid shipping twice unfortunately. Thinking about grabbing a couple more in the am. Thereby paying the shipping 3x but I'm happy to do it. These are awesome!

I bought a couple. Very neat coin that should do well in the secondary market. The production limit is only 1,964 coins so they should sell out fairly quickly. Dan Carr's 1964 Peace dollar had the same mintage and has done quite well in the secondary market. Not sure if this issue will be as popular as the Peace dollar but it would make a nice companion piece to the 1964 Peace dollar issue for those that already have this one.

I'm actually praying that The Synopic 12 weighs in on this. We think Jesus was a Morgan Man and would approve of this tribute

mark

Imitation numismatic item required to be marked with the word "COPY" in accordance with the Hobby Protection Act.

I think it is *especially* irresponsible for him to release this thing now, right after it was revealed that official hubs actually exist at the mint for the 1964D Morgan.

Imitation numismatic item required to be marked with the word "COPY" in accordance with the Hobby Protection Act.

I think it is *especially* irresponsible for him to release this thing now, right after it was revealed that official hubs actually exist at the mint for the 1964D Morgan.

Did you really expect anything different from him? I think his entire operation is irresponsible, and it will eventually catch up to him. For reasons that I will not list here (I want to give Mr. Carr more than enough metaphorical rope to hang himself with), his listing of this coin seems even more problematic than some others to me.

Hubs for a 1964-D Morgan were found? When? This must have happened last night!

There was a thread from a couple of months ago or so. It was definitely this year.

Nice looking fantasy coin. I ordered one while holed up in a hotel after evacuating from hurricane Matthew (it made landfall 20 miles from my house). Should be fun to show off at the coin club meeting along with the 1964 Peace Dollar.

Yes, there were several threads about it at the time. Here is one of them: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9536696

I bought a few... I really liked the 1909-o Morgan Dollars he made several years ago and still have several of those in my collection.

Missed out on getting the 1964-D Peace Dollars, but may have to hunt one down now that I'll have the 1964-D Morgan Dollars.

I have no problem having real Morgan Dollars w/ altered surfaces in my collection :)

They found 1964 Morgan hubs...NO D ;)

Did they find all of the hardware created for the 1964 dollar program?

Did they reveal all of the hardware found from the 1964 dollar program?

They found 1964 Morgan hubs...NO D ;)

Did they find all of the hardware created for the 1964 dollar program?

Did they reveal all of the hardware found from the 1964 dollar program?

I thought master hubs and master dies didn't have mint marks added to them until the 1980s for special strikes and early 1990s for circulation strikes, no?

If they were actual copies I wouldn't want them. I doubt anyone would outside of bullion guys

BUT since they are not actual copies and they happen to be pretty cool and interesting I collect them whilst I wait for my other interests to surface.

This stuff happens to be FUN to collect. There is not enough FUN in this hobby.

Seriously, some of you take this stuff way to seriously

If a 64 Morgan or Peace dollar from the mint ever sufaces I'll be happy to turn my Carr pieces in

JMHO

mark

If they were actual copies I wouldn't want them. I doubt anyone would outside of bullion guys

BUT since they are not actual copies and they happen to be pretty cool and interesting I collect them whilst I wait for my other interests to surface.

If a 64 Morgan or Peace dollar from the mint ever sufaces I'll be happy to turn my Carr pieces in

JMHO

mark

Mark, I can certainly understand your thinking and agree that there's not enough fun in the hobby. But the anti-counterfeiting laws are largely created for potential buyers who are far less knowledgeable than you and other collectors of Carr creations. Many rules and laws punish the "innocent" while aiming at the "guilty".

JMHO

mark

Mark, I can certainly understand your thinking and agree that there's not enough fun in the hobby. But the anti-counterfeiting laws are largely created for potential buyers who are far less knowledgeable than you and other collectors of Carr creations. Many rules and laws punish the "innocent" while aiming at the "guilty".

Exactly.

mark

JMHO

mark

I disagree that is why the laws are largely created. It is useful to interpret the laws in that manner, and obtain the emotional support from the constituency for enforcing the laws. However, fun is not being derailed. Logic is being derailed.

You and many others on the boards are knowledgeable. The U.S. Treasury estimates that there is a 60% probability that Super Bills passed thru your hands at least 3 times in the last year. Was it fun?

No idea of the point you are trying to make.

Anyways I'm checking out of this thread unless you know who shows up.

I smell another bob sled to hell

No laws being broke in this thread......yet

mark

JMHO

mark

These are my exact thoughts also. It's crazy how there seems to be so many grumpy people in a hobby that should be enjoyable and fun.

image_zpsaxys1rnd.jpeg

JMHO

mark

As I have said many times, these type pieces will harm people down the road, not today.

In my years working for Coin World, for ANACS and in coin shops I have encountered many people who have absolutely no clue as to what it is that they have inherited or found. These are the people at risk of losing a substantial amount of money trying to find out that what they have is only an unmarked replica.

I do not see how enforcing an existing law is "punishing" you.

TD

JMHO

mark

As I have said many times, these type pieces will harm people down the road, not today.

In my years working for Coin World, for ANACS and in coin shops I have encountered many people who have absolutely no clue as to what it is that they have inherited or found. These are the people at risk of losing a substantial amount of money trying to find out that what they have is only an unmarked replica.

TD

Tom, while I believe people will be harmed by such items in the future, I don't think it's likely to be those who have "inherited or found" them..But rather, it will be those who have purchased them.

In my opinion, knowledgeable collectors who'd be prevented from buying/owning counterfeits would be punished, or if you prefer, penalized (in not being able to own something they wish to purchase).That would be one of the results of enforcing the existing law. I think it is somewhat akin to law-abiding citizens who are punished/penalized when there is a curfew in effect in places where there have been riots, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that these pieces should be treated as counterfeits. That's even though I am sympathetic to collectors who know what they are and want to own them.

JMHO

mark

TD

Tom, while I believe people will be harmed by such items in the future, I don't think it's likely to be those who have "inherited or found" them..But rather, it will be those who have purchased them.

In my opinion, knowledgeable collectors who'd be prevented from buying/owning counterfeits would be punished, or if you prefer, penalized (in not being able to own something they wish to purchase).That would be one of the results of enforcing the existing law. I think it is somewhat akin to law-abiding citizens who are punished/penalized when there is a curfew in effect in places where there have been riots, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that these pieces should be treated as counterfeits. That's even though I am sympathetic to collectors who know what they are and want to own them.

Good Morning, Mark.

It is not logical to conclude knowledgeable collectors would be "penalized" for not being able to purchase a counterfeit piece that they wish they could purchase. That is akin to stating that a knowledgeable beer aficionado will be penalized because he can not legally purchase a heroin laced beer, and you sympathize with his plight and understand why he would buy a heroin laced beer from a source that has not been adjudicated yet. It is the same as stating the knowledgeable collector wishes he could break the law and not be punished.

A knowledgeable collector that knows what the pieces are (counterfeit) as you state, and that the pieces have not been adjudicated and still chooses to buy the item, is not deserving of sympathy. The knowledgeable collector should not be supporting an activity that has not been adjudicated.

The Freedom Tower silver dollar marketed by NCM: you did not support it, as I recall.

Mr. Carr was commissioned to design the artwork for the Freedom Tower piece, and proudly declares this on his website. He also declares on the same website he does not endorse the piece.

I regret that Mr. Carr won't endorse that which he designed, under paid commission. If he could only do the same with the pieces he has produced, until the pieces and his endeavors are adjudicated, that may be helpful to all the knowledgeable collectors you have sympathy for.

Having said that, I will state that I have admired the work of Mr. Carr pertaining to the Chevrolet, especially his poster work. It is very informational and contributes a wealth of knowledge and fun to the Chevrolet hobbyist.

JMHO

mark

TD

Good Morning, Mark.

It is not logical to conclude knowledgeable collectors would be "penalized" for not being able to purchase a counterfeit piece that they wish they could purchase. That is akin to stating that a knowledgeable beer aficionado will be penalized because he can not legally purchase a heroin laced beer, and you sympathize with his plight and understand why he would buy a heroin laced beer from a source that has not been adjudicated yet. It is the same as stating the knowledgeable collector wishes he could break the law and not be punished.

A knowledgeable collector that knows what the pieces are (counterfeit) as you state, and that the pieces have not been adjudicated and still chooses to buy the item, is not deserving of sympathy. The knowledgeable collector should not be supporting an activity that has not been adjudicated.

The Freedom Tower silver dollar marketed by NCM: you did not support it, as I recall.

Mr. Carr was commissioned to design the artwork for the Freedom Tower piece, and proudly declares this on his website. He also declares on the same website he does not endorse the piece.

I regret that Mr. Carr won't endorse that which he designed, under paid commission. If he could only do the same with the pieces he has produced, until the pieces and his endeavors are adjudicated, that may be helpful to all the knowledgeable collectors you have sympathy for.

Having said that, I will state that I have admired the work of Mr. Carr pertaining to the Chevrolet, especially his poster work. It is very informational and contributes a wealth of knowledge and fun to the Chevrolet hobbyist.

John, if my thinking on this subject is not logical, I can live with that. And I am not being sarcastic. It's how I feel and I own it.

JMHO

mark

TD

Good Morning, Mark.

John, if my thinking on this subject is not logical, I can live with that. And I am not being sarcastic. It's how I feel and I own it.

No problem, Mark, and I did not assume you are being sarcastic. Why would I?

I do think if you review what you stated, it is possible what you intended to say might not have come across. If I am incorrect, then yes, your opinion is yours, logical or not. I am sure you understand my position, especially on the Freedom Tower piece.

TD

How does one go about "losing a substantial amount of money trying to find out that what they have is only an unmarked replica" ?

The information is readily available. A little internet searching will produce results for very little (if any) cost.

We've all had items that we had no idea what the value was. Many of us probably searched the internet and were able to find out.

As I have previously stated, it is one thing to find or be given an item and hope that it is worth a lot of money.

It is all together a different thing to have the knowledge and motivation to actually spend a lot of money for an item.