• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some Susan B. Anthony's

43 posts in this topic

Yeah, yeah, I know. Why would anyone collect SBA's? Consider this more of a browse of a local B&M's unwanted albums. Earlier this year I was in a local B&M looking through some of their albums. I noticed a few SBA albums and thought WTF. I looked through them for toner business strike SBA's, and found a few, which I agglomerated into one album. I couldn't find a single decently toned business strike 1981 SBA, so I got one proof. I also couldn't decide which 1979 D I preferred, so I got two of them. For all 8 coins, and the album they went in, I can't remember exactly what the cost was, but the total was either $10 or $15. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1979_rSBAo2_zpswyfmoaeb.jpgbc1979_rSBAr5_zpsxity42sa.jpg

bc1979D_rSBA1o5_zpsu6g8kf7o.jpgbc1979D_rSBA1r5_zpscvbvnzmk.jpg

bc1979D_rSBA2o2_zpsqtykbzas.jpgbc1979D_rSBA2r5_zpsjos3irv5.jpg

bc1979S_rSBAo5_zpsuppqk17r.jpgbc1979S_rSBAr1_zpsrlvbyiti.jpg

bc1980_rSBAo5_zpslctnjp6i.jpgbc1980_rSBAr5_zpssgh8avwb.jpg

bc1980D_rSBAo4_zpsbbfofhxa.jpgbc1980D_rSBAr2t_zps5fbhokyw.jpg

bc1980S_rSBAo5_zpstk8f5enp.jpgbc1980S_rSBAr4_zpsnlypwy9c.jpg

bc1981S_rSBAo5_zps5xtfdaku.jpgbc1981S_rSBAr6t_zpssrr9ecsh.jpg

my least favorite coin but some of those I would have picked up. Nice find.

Quick question, are the images by Bob Campbell the former ANA president who lives in Salt Lake City and owns the all about coins coin shop?

Thank you guys for your kind comments!

Quick question, are the images by Bob Campbell the former ANA president who lives in Salt Lake City and owns the all about coins coin shop?

No, this Bob Campbell is a "regular" coin collector. He is on the boards here and ATS under the name of "Robec".

Thank you guys for your kind comments!

No, this Bob Campbell is a "regular" coin collector. He is on the boards here and ATS under the name of "Robec".

Ok thanks! I'm familiar with robec, didn't know him as Bob Campbell.

The 1981 appears, appears to have been cleaned in the striations on the obverse, as well as the reverse. This could be a misnomer for not any of those coins really portrayed a significance of quality, in my personal opinion. Irrespective of that, extremely nice toning especially on the 79'. I have quite a few of those, never really look at them and for the same reason, 'Have no idea why I followed suit, "limited".

* Do you have the proof, I believe 1979 which was in a presentation box from the U.S. Mint. I believe that is the year. I have one but really am too lazy to look. If so, please provide any details regarding the proof. Thank you very much.

The 1981 appears, appears to have been cleaned in the striations on the obverse, as well as the reverse. This could be a misnomer for not any of those coins really portrayed a significance of quality, in my personal opinion. Irrespective of that, extremely nice toning especially on the 79'. I have quite a few of those, never really look at them and for the same reason, 'Have no idea why I followed suit, "limited".

* Do you have the proof, I believe 1979 which was in a presentation box from the U.S. Mint. I believe that is the year. I have one but really am too lazy to look. If so, please provide any details regarding the proof. Thank you very much.

I hope you're not suggesting the presence of striations in the 1981 Proof is indicative of cleaning. These are extremely common in SBA's, proof and regular issues.

These are regular issues, but I can also show proof.

1980pSBA.jpg

1981dSBA.jpg

1981pSBA.jpg

I hope you're not suggesting the presence of striations in the 1981 Proof is indicative of cleaning. These are extremely common in SBA's, proof and regular issues.

These are regular issues, but I can also show proof.

1980pSBA.jpg

1981dSBA.jpg

1981pSBA.jpg

Surely, we're not making any accusations as we have stated in the initial reply. They appear in a manner of being cleaned but as you state, as we have said, the quality of the strike of the SBA is probably one of the worst . I do not believe that the proof I have look like any of the above. Are the pictured coins 'Uncirculated', 'Business' or Proof? In fact, I know not of too many 'business' strikes being associated with most coinage. There very well may be many, just not my area. I'm familiar with the 2016 Standing Liberty being a 'business' strike, nothing more other than a 'business' strike is considered to be a hybrid. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

The three I posted before were regular business strikes. Here are three Proofs shown in PCGS's Coinfacts. Quality can only go up from here............or at least I thought.

04083708_1456034_2200.jpg

27913195_38289930_2200.jpg27548676_37351826_max.jpg

Sorry, i did not take note of the Mint mark. However, are you certain the prior pictures are of a 'business strike' and not "Uncirculated" ? Please provide information to the SBA being a 'business' strike.

The elements in the metals are of little value, as the properties are not to our liking one iota, never have been. Knowing what a coin consists of, why would any collect this series or any of the billions of Presidential dollars, Jefferson nickels, Lincoln cents and any other denomination containing characteristics of poor alloys?

I still cannot comprehend why many continue to collect coinage in the millions, if not billions. Other than to find an 'error' (Extremely unlikely), what are they worth ? Even if production ceased on a certain coin being produced in the millions, again what is the point to gather the sand of the sea ? No disrespect here, it just seems to overwhelm any which may have knowledge, let alone wisdom.

Sorry, i did not take note of the Mint mark. However, are you certain the prior pictures are of a 'business strike' and not "Uncirculated" ? Please provide information to the SBA being a 'business' strike.

The elements in the metals are of little value, as the properties are not to our liking one iota, never have been. Knowing what a coin consists of, why would any collect this series or any of the billions of Presidential dollars, Jefferson nickels, Lincoln cents and any other denomination containing characteristics of poor alloys?

I still cannot comprehend why many continue to collect coinage in the millions, if not billions. Other than to find an 'error' (Extremely unlikely), what are they worth ? Even if production ceased on a certain coin being produced in the millions, again what is the point to gather the sand of the sea ? No disrespect here, it just seems to overwhelm any which may have knowledge, let alone wisdom.

Business strike is a term meaning a regular coin that is meant to go in to circulation, unlike a proof. If a business strike coin hasn't been circulated then it is uncirculated, if it has gone in to circulation enough to show a little bit of wear then it is circulated.

Believe it or not, people collect what they like. I wish you well in collecting what floats your boat.

There is much conjecture relating to that hypothesis. According to the United States Mint, a business strike differs from an uncirculated coin.Naturally, a business strike in all its entirety is meant to be circulated (Many moons ago) but the business strikes of today, namely the 2016 Standing Liberty shall never be placed into circulation. A business strike is considered to be a 'hybrid' albeit a specimen according to some experts in the numismatic field. Not a collectible piece according to many and may not realize any return in the future.

As they say, back in the day when twenty dollar gold pieces were being used as circulating coins and being exchanged for merchandise, that is really not the objective of a business strike in this era. Additionally, the 2016 Standing Liberty does not display a magnified signature as containing .9999 gold (24 Karat); aside from the focal point. We would believe that the impressions would not be as significant as opposed to an uncirculated version with at least 10% trace elements (Softer vs. Harder); again, aside from the issue.

In your presentation of the difference, there is sufficient ground to comprehend the difference but to us it still seems muddied, no offense. I really only partake in collecting as a hobby, placing no significance in money. If you have read any of my posts in noticing my devotion, you may ask why am I here. At the moment, I remain as flesh not being transformed into spirit, as my frailties are visible. However any may perceive this controversy or being part of the world, 'We still remain in continual prayer' for we believe that prayer covers an abundance of sin as Our Master has told us. Hopefully you may look upon this in a good light. We never forget any, as our remembrance of others is never ceasing. This is just the way we are.

Business strike is a term meaning a regular coin that is meant to go in to circulation, unlike a proof. If a business strike coin hasn't been circulated then it is uncirculated, if it has gone in to circulation enough to show a little bit of wear then it is circulated.

Believe it or not, people collect what they like. I wish you well in collecting what floats your boat.

This is 100% correct.

Nice coins, Sy.

Ignore synoptic, he's a troll.

Agree nice coins.

FYI I assumed that synoptic and Mr Knowitall were the same poster. Outside of the bible thumping the syntax both articulate are eerily similar. I'm sure it's just my imagination.

mark

Nice coins, Sy.

Agree nice coins.

FYI I assumed that synoptic and Mr Knowitall were the same poster. Outside of the bible thumping the syntax both articulate are eerily similar. I'm sure it's just my imagination.

mark

+1

I was thinking the same thing Mark.

Nice coins, Sy.

Agree nice coins.

mark

+1

I didn't want to say it, but that was my thought as well. There are many similarities.

Nice coins, Sy.

Agree nice coins.

mark

+1

I didn't want to say it, but that was my thought as well. There are many similarities.

Yep, I thought the same thing. They even replied to each other in a Water Cooler thread. Reminded me of a dog chasing his tail.

The term "business strike" was put into use by Wally Breen long ago on his own little planet of confusion.

The term is confusing. ALL coins from the Mint are "business strikes" because that is the business of the Mint Bureau. A better method, and one gradually coming into reuse, is to identify the purpose of manufacture in the name. Thus: "circulation strike" for coins intended for circulation; "proof" or "proof strike" for proof coins; "NCLT" (non-circulating legal tender) for things like the 2016 gold imitation dimes, quarters and halves; and "commemorative" for pieces made to recognize some event or organization.

The term "uncirculated" is used by the Mint Bureau in the same manner as by coin collectors - a coin that has not been in circulation. It does not refer to any specific method of manufacture, although I've never see the mint use it with mirror-like proof coins.

Correction noted. The US Mint uses confusing nomenclature, also.

PS: Which of "you" do I thank for the information?

Nice coins, Sy.

Agree nice coins.

mark

+1

Yep, I thought the same thing. They even replied to each other in a Water Cooler thread. Reminded me of a dog chasing his tail.

I agree with all of you. What a complete nut job. I've been asked to ignore knowitalls posts I wonder if that includes synoptic also hm

mark

What would be the purpose of creating an alt for an active member? Pure mischief doesn't seem to fit John very well. There is usually a straightforward reason for his posts even though some members apparently don't like the style.

From what I saw from him, I'd say definitely. Definitely ignore his posts. I know I'm going to. He's just a troll spouting inflammatory garbage. Not worth any of our time.

I agree with all of you. What a complete nut job. I've been asked to ignore knowitalls posts I wonder if that includes synoptic also hm

I've had Mickey on ignore for months. It has been nice.

I put synoptic on ignore after a week.

If you value your sanity, I recommend you do the same.

Brown Noser Definition: •a person who adopts an overtly friendly attitude towards those in authority in hopes of gaining a more favorable position in the workplace. A person who performs solely for the approval of a boss or bosses.

Actually, I'm not brown-nosing. I actually like the coins or I wouldn't say it. What I don't like is your bible-thumping trolling garbage. And that is the last thing I am every going to say to you.