• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

100% Natural toning, no scam

13 posts in this topic

I didn't think you were. I just hate to add subjective labels when a sale is potentially pending. While I think this coin is clear cut, if you are ever in doubt, you can email GC. Ian is very honest, and I believe he will give you a candid in hand assessment if you ask for it.

"Candied hands" -- now that's new. Maybe that will be added to this year's holiday fruit cakes. ;)

The only ASE I've seen that I'd call "natural" are the ones that obviously came out of PCI holders. PCGS grades these as well....although I've seen that NGC rejects these which I find odd.

This coin is an example of PCGS very liberal attitude for these. I know of at least one grader at PCGS that thinks they should quit grading them. Whatever the case, as long as the coins doesn't change in the holder who cares? If you like it buy it...if not then don't. (shrug)

BTW, I don't blame GC one bit here. It's not their job to police the coin market. IMO, I think buyers and sellers are responsible for their own transactions. GC just facilitates. PCGS graded the damn thing so....

jom

That toning could very well have occurred unintentionally.

It looks like it was stored somewhere damp (note the water stain along the obverse rim from the date to the sun).

Damp basements can cause all sorts of effects on coins, from pretty toning to horrible corrosion.

That toning could very well have occurred unintentionally.

It looks like it was stored somewhere damp (note the water stain along the obverse rim from the date to the sun).

Damp basements can cause all sorts of effects on coins, from pretty toning to horrible corrosion.

PCGS has slabbed a number of these "unintentionally" toned ASE's....

Coin should be purchased with the idea that it will be 'salted away' until such a time it can be resold for a hundred dollars and the next buyer will be nearly insulted that they are expected to pay 100 times face on such a common coin.