• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spreading the Numismatic Word

5 posts in this topic

Gifts for the young

I am SLOWLY getting caught up on numismatic gifts for my cousins' children. (Curses of having such a large family) My Goddaughter's birthday recently passed, so I ordered her something her mom said she was into (Some beads that you place on a board, then fuse together with an iron) and a 2007 Proof set from the year she was born.

Another cousin had her son last year, so I bought him a 2015 Proof set. He turns 1 next month, so I will be caught up with him.

My goal is to get them hooked on collecting and be the cool cousin who takes them to coin shows, loads them up on sugar and dumps them back on their parents. :o) lol

Happy collecting, everyone.

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins

I hate to be a wet blanket, but coming generations are very likely to be much poorer than previous generations. I am also concerned about overproduction of items by Mints around the World which affects scarcity. One last concern I have is the move away from physical currency.

That being said, I do believe hard money has a future as digital currencies become more and more compromised, but I am not sure that the younger generations will have the luxury of pursuing hobbies to the same degree that we have.

You kind of tapped into something I have been going over in my head. I guess this isn't really a response to your journal, but more just me airing out my laundry.

Always good to start them young. My grandpa got me interested in his coins when I was around 7 or 8. It didn't set in until I was an adult but when I look through my old Lincoln books it reminds me of him.

I have given proof sets to my friend's kids and I don't know if it will do anything positive or if they will just break them out and spend them as teenagers.

Good Work!

I had a similar experience to that of Well Collection. My grandpa and dad both collected and shared their coins with me when I was young. I had some interest when I was in grade school. Then I pretty much ignored coins again until I was in my late 20s. Then the bug bit me hard.

I'm very much looking forward to when my nephew is old enough for me to share a few pieces with him.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but coming generations are very likely to be much poorer than previous generations.

Which means prices won't be supportable and will have to come down.