• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reason for $3 gold coins

15 posts in this topic

On the PCGS board a member posted, "I thought $3 gold coins were created for buying 100 3c stamps," with a link to a 2008 article purporting to explain the coin.

PCGS Message

The article's explanation is false. This kind of pervasive misinformation only makes research and study of American numismatics more difficult that it should be.

For those who want to know the real reasons for adoption of a $3 gold coin, see a 2013 issue of Journal of Numismatic Research available through Wizard Coin Supply.

Cover-JNR-Issue4-v05-sm_zps1a1cb57b.jpg

Not being prime horse country, race tracks in the old Northeastern states had a $3.00 bet window that was used for races of horses with 3-legs. The $2 bet was for 4-legged critters @ 50-cents per hoof.

Not being prime horse country, race tracks in the old Northeastern states had a $3.00 bet window that was used for races of horses with 3-legs. The $2 bet was for 4-legged critters @ 50-cents per hoof.

I appreciate the clarification. I must have been thinking about quarter eagles. Obviously created to fund the two dollar and fifty cent windows at said track.

Paul

Instead of peddling your article in JNR, why not just tell us here in brief the real reason RWB?? If people have to pay for information, they are less likely to care about getting it right. ;)

-Brandon

I thought it was for the three dollar window at the horse track !

Race track:)

There used to be both horse tracks and dog tracks, so horse track is a valid term.

There used to be both horse tracks and dog tracks,

As far as I know there still are. Checked, there are still five states with active dog tracks.

"Instead of peddling your article in JNR, why not just tell us here in brief the real reason RWB??"

Well, what else can I do with the push cart now that the monkey ran off to Cleveland?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Given the reasonable cost of RWB's Journal, the information contained therein is an excellent value. Not everything is available for free on the internet...

Given the reasonable cost of RWB's Journal, the information contained therein is an excellent value. Not everything is available for free on the internet...

Then expect the misinformation to continue to be spread. I would personally pay for the Journal, but most would not. I wasn't suggesting RWB post the entire article here, I was suggesting he post a brief (e.g., 2 sentence) reply with the correct information. Those who care enough about the gory details can then buy a copy of his journal.

Few replies can be condensed into "2-sentences" or a tweet. The monkey was not good at checking for subtle information, but he was OK with peanuts and the occasional banana.

....back to the push cart --- maybe I'll try fish ?