• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think NCS can help these medals?

4 posts in this topic

I posted to the conservation subforum but forgot it's moderated.

Do these look salvageable? My skillset stops with acetone and olive oil...and wouldn't touch aluminum with a 10 foot pole.

Iron, with white spots

iron%20medal_zpsnsd4ltw2.jpg

Aluminum

birth%20control%20combo_zpsq4kcxb07.jpg

Slabbed conserve%202_zpsg9ytqqsg.jpg

Generalized spots and gunkyness:

conserve%201_zpsy7lradyd.jpg

conserve%203_zpsrdrrcsof.jpg

The third coin down looks like it could helped, and the spotting/gunk on the fifth coin down could probably be lessened somewhat IMO. The others I would leave alone but that's just my opinion.

Thanks Dragon :). The third one down is the one I'm most worried about.

Medals are kind of fun in that I can tolerate a whole different level of condition...but I don't want stuff that keeps propagating or is a surface 'schmutz' that can keep causing damage.

I'll probably send a few in (especially #3) and see what happens. It's only money, and if there is nothing to be done, no big deal. Well, I won't send in the aluminum one, it's literally a $15 piece and I can't really justify the minimum charge on that one as they are pretty common.

From what I know about NCS---they may not be able to completely remove the problem areas but they can lessen their appearance and make sure that they're stable.

However, the entire medal would be treated and this WILL permanently alter it's existing surfaces....by how much; I don't know, as it seems to vary, so you have to make sure that you're OK with that.