• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have a Brexit related coin to show off?

11 posts in this topic

1973 Great Britain 50 Pence (KM# 918) MS 66 NGC

1j46rt.jpgjhve6p.jpg

The European Economic Community (EEC) was created by the Treaty of Rome of 1957 as a cross-national political and economic agreement among European countries. The U.K. joined the EEC on January 1, 1973. This 50 pence commemorates Britain's entrance into the community. In 1993, the EEC began to be incorporated into the new European Union's wider framework and in 2009 the organized community ceased to exist.

351d64w.jpg

Will they make a new commemorative coin for the exit?

...with each of the hands cutting off a finger of the next.

The reason I own this coin, BTW, doesn't have anything to do with Brexit or the EU. This coin actually represents one of my first introductions to world coins. When I was about 10, someone got me a fact-finding book, which I loved, and had an image of this coin and brief description. I still have it...

wsnzp3.jpg24qpoie.jpg

"Will they make a new commemorative coin for the exit?"

That would be like making a coin to commemorate stupid things.

"Will they make a new commemorative coin for the exit?"

That would be like making a coin to commemorate stupid things.

Hasn't stopped the US Mint... ;)

This coin commemorates the 30th anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Rome in 1957. This treaty was originally signed by 6 countries (France, Italy, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, and West Germany). This treaty led to the establishment of the European Economic Community, and would later (through many morphs) eventually lead to the backbone of the current day European Union. At the time this coin was minted in 1987, the member countries had grown to 12 with the addition of Denmark, Greece, Ireland, Portugal, Spain, and the UK. The twelve horses pulling the one "30 Year" emblem signify these member countries and their goal of fostering unity among the European countries.

Struck in 0.625 silver as both a non-proof (mintage of 8 million) and proof (mintage of 350,000).

1987G_Germany_10M_NGC_MS67_European_Unity_composite.jpg

1987G_Germany_10M_NGC_PF69UC_European_Unity_composite_zpsce802faa.jpg

Here is a token I purchased a few years back that was included with a group of tokens and medals. Of course, the Euro was never adopted by the U.K.

I have no information of who created this piece and what the intent was with its distribution. Kinda cool! Both sides are same design.

163209.jpg.747efc4738bb9abfca384d7f8d78864e.jpg