• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1958 P Roosevelts and Franklins from a 1958 Mint Set

7 posts in this topic

Here are the P mint Roosevelts and Franklins from a 1958 Mint Set. The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1958_rRO6o5_zpsrdtxtjpp.jpgbc1958_rRO6r5_zpswselsaxg.jpg

bc1958_rRO5o4_zpsuod44jhs.jpgbc1958_rRO5r5_zpsrvwedfnq.jpg

bc1958_rFR5o5_zpsbjd2le2p.jpgbc1958_rFR5r4_zps21gpcfmu.jpg

bc1958_rFR6o1t_zpsspbspysn.jpgbc1958_rFR6r2_zpsrbrgc3xi.jpg

I love those! I am shocked at how similar the toning is with all of them. Great additions to your collection!!

It was the green (an ugly green) light weight lining paper folded in half and over the coins inside the envelope. It produced a rather constant bluish toning. The tan paper produced a buff sand rustic color with a very very light washed out blood color.

I love those! I am shocked at how similar the toning is with all of them. Great additions to your collection!!

It was the green (an ugly green) light weight lining paper folded in half and over the coins inside the envelope. It produced a rather constant bluish toning. The tan paper produced a buff sand rustic color with a very very light washed out blood color.

Actually, no one, to the best of my knowledge, knows what produced the specific colors of the coins produced at the different Mints during the 1950's. Anyone who has looked at the paper/cardboard Mint Sets from the 1950's will realize that the P mints, NO MATTER WHAT THE COLOR of the light weight paper, often produced a blue color. The D mints, WITH THE EXACT SAME PAPER, often produced a red or green color. The best guess is that it had something to do with the production at the given Mints, whether it be the rolling, the washing etc.

Thank you!

Actually, no one, to the best of my knowledge, knows what produced the specific colors of the coins produced at the different Mints during the 1950's. Anyone who has looked at the paper/cardboard Mint Sets from the 1950's will realize that the P mints, NO MATTER WHAT THE COLOR of the light weight paper, often produced a blue color. The D mints, WITH THE EXACT SAME PAPER, often produced a red or green color. The best guess is that it had something to do with the production at the given Mints, whether it be the rolling, the washing etc.

It was not the exact same paper. There were 3 different papers. But, it is not that important. I would like to think I have looked at some sets from the 50s, which puts me in the anyone camp. My opinion is that it did not matter with P anymore than D, and my experience of the colors are as I stated. I would like to read any documentation concerning the rolling, washing, etc. A guess sure. If the lining paper is closely examined, the various colors are thruout the paper, not just where it rested against the coin. Did later storage methods change the colors or add to the mixing? I would of course think so. Very few of tge sets I have seen survived with the liner paper, but in the ones I examined, the colors tended to follow the shades I mentioned when in the lined paper color I mentioned. There are envelopes that were opened that did not have any lining paper. The distribution of color is not the same.

Who knows.