• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fox 5 News Interviews Mike Byers About His Unique Quarter

15 posts in this topic

Looks to be purposefully and illegally made. How would one explain striking a proof 1970 US Quarter on a 1941 Canada Quarter? Makes no sense other than tomfoolery by a mint worker.

Here's the NGC Cert look-up information:

NGC Cert: 1949701-013

Date/Info: 1970 S 25C STRUCK 1941 CANADA 25C 5.63 GR

Grade: MINT ERROR PF 65

The reason I got into numismatics was as an alternative to the wall street style, paper and digital assets and history. It is hard for me to understand collectibles that are valued based on hard to understand logic.

"...valued based on hard to understand logic."

That is also called the "null argument value."

the poster of this thread is also the person of content?

Yes, he is. Self promotion seems to be about the only times he posts here...

What I'd like to know is where did the coin (s) come from and how much was paid to acquire them. Compared to the asking price, I'm just wondering if the person who brought them in was treated fairly?

I really don't like these illicitly made intentional so-called errors. The only way this could have happened is if someone intentionally placed the coin in the chamber. It is ridiculous.

Genuine errors come about as the result of mishaps in the normal minting process.

This isn't an error - this is a forgery.

What I'd like to know is where did the coin (s) come from and how much was paid to acquire them. Compared to the asking price, I'm just wondering if the person who brought them in was treated fairly?

I definitely agree with the original purchase price as a basis of resale. There are reasonable and unreasonable business standards. And on the Canada coin on US coin minting, strange but unique.

The upside to this well publicized coin, is that it will undoubtedly create interest, and create future numismatics. That in itself is worth more than the $35,000 asking price for this overstruck Canadian Quarter.