• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Die polish lines.

33 posts in this topic

Love em or hate em? Post pics if you got them. I think they give character to a possible boring coin. This coin is not mine, I hesitated too long on eBay and missed it. I really like it though.

Nick

image_zpsulhruexr.png

image_zpsxwavwe4t.png

image_zpsiiud8wnh.png

Amazing pictures robec!!!

I'm not familiar with that thread Lehigh, if there was some nice pictures posted and you have a link, I'd like to check it out.

Nick

Closeups of this 1927-S Peace Dollar show quite a few. I don't always like DPLs, but these aren't too distracting and the coin is just so darn nice in every other way.

TMLOPIp.jpg

ZL8C37M.jpg

VK4Imot.jpg

EdFa0hY.jpg

This topic makes me cringe at the memory of 20 page semantic arguments with Doug on Coin Chat.

Oh boy!! I remember that. It was cringe worthy.

This topic makes me cringe at the memory of 20 page semantic arguments with Doug on Coin Chat.

I'm having flashbacks. Post a trigger warning next time! ;) haha

1947WashNGC65PLobv_04.jpg

1947WashNGC65PLrev_19.jpg

Part of normal die maintenance and repair....but some work was performed better than others.

Finite but noticeable polishing on "21" Peace dollar. My pictures are not as nice but did see a bit of doubling when trying to capture polishing lines. Curious if Vam?

162701.jpg.54d884945b5cde9b377c912a753149f3.jpg

162702.jpg.94b6f2cccf61c91deaae74ae95620cda.jpg

162703.jpg.997b3c48891f5f0c2ca24d00fc4a6846.jpg

I need a safe space, lol.

I need a safe space, lol.

That particular thread on that chat board convinced me once and for all that I did not want any part of that place.

Some cool pictures so far.

There is a big difference in the coarseness of the die polish, based on the era and techniques. There are some, like the 30s-40s S mint coinage shown above, which are characterised by really coarse, grainy, visually striking die polish. Then there are some, like this quarter, which have very, very fine polish (only seen at certain angles under magnification). This is the only DPL Seated Quarter graded:

1852871_Full_Obv.jpg .

1852871_Full_Rev.jpg

The coins suggest that the folks doing the die repair/maintenance were not very careful about using contaminated grit. An "emery stick" was just a wood stick with moist emery powder on it.

All sorts of info about die polishing etc. will be found in From Mine to Mint.

• Administrator
Wow! That poor dragon.

Yeah, some worker at the mint must have had a bad day and took it out on that obverse die!

-Paul

Kind of looks like he had been playing in the mint's sandbox before work!

I see what you mean above the date, but what about all the lines? Do plating bubbles form lines like that? They are much more prominent in hand.

I'm sure there are plenty of die polish lines. Bubbles come in all sorts of shapes, including straight lines. From the mid 80's through the early 90's these bubbles were very common.

GiJoe_1985dMS68RD_o2r5.jpg

GiJoe_1986MS68RD_o4r4.jpg

GiJoe_1988dMS68RD_o7r4.jpg

GiJoe_1990dMS69RD_o9r3.jpg