• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some grading tips - reposted for any newer forum members who might benefit...

35 posts in this topic

Two thoughts about these two sentences. First, you should (attempt to) explain this philosophy to Doug over on Cointalk. He is easily the biggest offender of these two things that I have ever encountered on the coin forums. Second, don't you think that this information about "micro-grading" could have helped us reconcile the grading dispute on the recent MS68 Roosevelt thread?

Paul

1. Very true.

2. There is a difference (although it may be a fine line) between "micro-grading" and "deducting points for serious and legitimate flaws." I believe the discussion in that thread was trying to decide what weight to place on those flaws, with some of us choosing to deduct a point (or two), and some of us not.

One needs to be able to view a large quantity of coins that cover a broad range of grades. "Perspective" is a word I like to use, because I think it is key. I remember one year when I was teaching the advanced grading class at the ANA seminar in Colorado Springs and I showed the class an MS67 Walking Liberty half dollar. It was no big deal to me, because I had seen hundreds of them. But one of my students was awestruck and said something like "So that's what a superb example looks like". Until then, he had never seen one and could only imagine what it would look like. In other words, he did not have perspective. And without it, (much of) grading is impossible.

This is actually a really good point, and one that hasn't been discussed very much. When I first started collecting Franklins (the first set that I pursued high grade coins, and the first set I spent much money on), I really had no perspective. I was buying 64s and 65s, but I had never seen a 66 or 67. I had no perspective. I didn't really understand the grading - until I searched them out at a FUN show. I had never seen a really high grade coin, so I didn't have anything to compare it to. I had a chance to examine a number of coins in a number of grades, and I learned more in one day of looking in dealer's cases than I had looking at coins on Ebay and Teletrade for 2 years.

It's easy to under-grade coins - and I think a lot of people do so in order to appear sharp. But it doesn't get you anywhere.

I had to be taught not to "micro-grade" or ignore all the positive aspects of a coin because of a tiny flaw, here or there.

Two thoughts about these two sentences. First, you should (attempt to) explain this philosophy to Doug over on Cointalk. He is easily the biggest offender of these two things that I have ever encountered on the coin forums. Second, don't you think that this information about "micro-grading" could have helped us reconcile the grading dispute on the recent MS68 Roosevelt thread?

Paul

I'll pass on your suggestion regarding trying to explain the philosophy. ;)

I don't think that a discussion concerning micro-grading would have necessarily made a difference in the recent MS68 Roosevelt dime dispute. To me, it doesn't matter if the reverse marks were man made or mint-made. Although the obverse is nearly flawless, the reverse flaws keep it out of the 68 category for me. I don't think one has to micro- grade in order to reach that conclusion.

It's easy to under-grade coins - and I think a lot of people do so in order to appear sharp. But it doesn't get you anywhere.

I had to be taught not to "micro-grade" or ignore all the positive aspects of a coin because of a tiny flaw, here or there.

Paul

I'll pass on your suggestion regarding trying to explain the philosophy. ;)

I don't think that a discussion concerning micro-grading would have necessarily made a difference in the recent MS68 Roosevelt dime dispute. To me, it doesn't matter if the reverse marks were man made or mint-made. Although the obverse is nearly flawless, the reverse flaws keep it out of the 68 category for me. I don't think one has to micro- grade in order to reach that conclusion.

I think you should reconsider, the entertainment value of that thread would be absolutely priceless.

I wasn't thrilled about the grade of that Rosie either, but I understand why PCGS graded it MS68 and I think that the holistic look of the coin caused the graders to overlook the impact of the reverse flaws, even if they were too severe for others to overlook, including us.