• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finally! The Medal that Will be the Centerpiece of My New Collection

22 posts in this topic

Since I started my collection of Laura Gardin Fraser coins and medals, the 1920 American Army and Navy chaplains medal has been at the top of my list to purchase. These medals rarely become available for sale and the last one I bid in 2015, I lost. Since then I had e-bay searches set up to locate others that may become available.

Though these medals are scarce, they don't cost too much since the demand is low. It's just that the people who own them rarely sell them. With a pocket full of e-bay bucks I searched for ways to spend my bucks when I came across the medal with a BIN price that just had listed only hours earlier with one watcher. I didn't give it a second thought and quickly snatched what will be the cornerstone of my medal collection.

This medal struck by the Gorham Co. was awarded to all the Army and Navy chaplains of World War 1. It is also fitting that Laura Gardin Fraser should design and sculpt this medal. Both Frasers loved America and the armed forces of the United States. Laura had a long and cordial relationship with the West Point Military Academy that I will write about later. Interestingly, during WWI Laura volunteered to drive ambulances transporting wounded soldiers. Thus the obverse reveals her passion reminiscent of the Good Samaritan depicting a chaplain giving a wounded soldier a drink.

As a Christian in the United States Navy in the late 70's early 80's, this medal kind of has a personal connection. On top of the chaplain of our ship providing spiritual assistance he also provided humanitarian assistance. The post Vietnam War era created a huge refugee problem. While at sea and 100 miles off the coast of Vietnam in the South China Sea we rescued dozens of refugees, many of them children from certain peril. It's hard to imagine what would make a person put out to sea in nothing more than a rickety wooden raft in hopes of being rescued. Only God knows the numbers of people never found. Of the ones we rescued we really adored the kids, and although the Vietnam War still triggers passionate emotions, I am proud to have been a part of that operation.

Gary

17397.jpg

See more journals by gherrmann44

Hi Gary,

Nice medal and I can see how it would have a personal connection for you given your story and your faith. However, one definitely doesn't have to be a Christian or a veteran to appreciate your fine medal. I'm an atheist who has never served in the armed forces and I think it's absolutely beautiful! I'm also a World War I buff, so I dig it for that connection as well even though my interests are mainly in Central Powers coins and memorabilia. Congrats on a great new purchase!!

~Tom

I don't know about the mintage, but the Federal Council of the Churches of Christ in America listed in their April 1920 newsletter a budget of $25,000 for the medals to be awarded to each of the member protestant Army and Navy chaplains.

The medal is 70 MM and NGC grades practically all the medals manufactured by the Medallic Art Co. and the Gorham Co. I have a submission of 8 medals waiting to be graded at NGC. After I renew my membership, I will send this medal and a few others in for grading.

Many of the medals manufactured have a lacquer finish which combined with the bronze and a little age gives this medal the attractive color it has.

Gary

Why would anyone pay to "grade" a medal and stick it in plastic? Seems to defeat the purpose of having and enjoying the medal.

I ask the same question about why they slab coins. Make sure it is kept away from you. Might as well be in a museum where you can just go visit it and just look at it in a display case.

The only reason I slab medals is to help protect them from friction. They can be hard to store in conventional types of holders without touching and sliding around.

This medal has great patina!

I understand the surface protection aspect....but not the "grading" part.

Nice, inert plastic medal holders can be bought for a few dollars.

Why would anyone pay to "grade" a medal and stick it in plastic? Seems to defeat the purpose of having and enjoying the medal.

For many of us, part of enjoying our collection is sharing it on-line. NGC provides a nice venue to display any NGC or PCGS slabbed item in a custom set. The custom set registry is free but obviously the cost incurred is getting your raw material into the right slab.

I'm a fairly recent coin collector, but I think it holds true that before the internet you would have to publish your collection or get it into a museum in order to share it with the public. You might never have had a chance to see someone else's collection until it appeared in an auction catalog.

So, if sharing the experience with others is important, why are there no non-specific places to post collections - or are there??

So, if sharing the experience with others is important, why are there no non-specific places to post collections - or are there??

eBay lets you create a collection and you don't even have to own the item! I think there are plenty of others. To me, it has more impact if I know that the collector has put some real effort into creating the collection.

It's not a trivial effort to create your own web site to display your collections. I know several collectors who have done just that and I hope to do the same when I have a bit more free time.

To Roger:

I have seen a few different forums to share collections online, but in my opinion and experience, none are as good as what NGC offers with the Custom Registry. I've tried blogs before, so I could include my NGC and ANACS coins, but I really wasn't happy with the results. I find NGC's spreadsheet layout to be very appealing and easy to use. Also, for me anyway, I advertise my coin sales on here, so I feel that it's good for me to be a part of the community here. I can see what you are saying about the grading and fees involved though.....it does get expensive! But it's also fun to show the community what I do with my proceeds as I really only sell in order to collect. It is also fun to share our experiences and knowledge along with our collections.

To Jack:

I echo what I said to Roger regarding the different options. However, if you do go forward with making your own website, let me know how it goes for you and what you think about the experience. I've never tried that specific route for sharing my collection, so I'd definitely be interested!!!

~Tom

Gary,

Great new addition of a rare and beautiful coin. As always, awesome pictures and presentation. I have never seen a new one, so hence, I don't know the looks of a new one. However, I think I can safely say that I prefer the color of yours. Your set is young and hopefully with the addition of this so early it will bring good tidings to any others you seek.

In general,

For anyone interested, I will start and\or maintain your website for free or you can donate to the cause. I simply love designing websites and am, on a limited basis now, a coin collector. If you need references, please ask. Talk to Gary and listen to his opinion. I started his site and he is now maintaining it on his own!

Gary,

That is a beautiful medal and this will be a great set. (thumbs u

Just FYI, it is possible to add raw coins or medals to your Custom Sets. Just create the coin (or medal) as a WANT and you will be able to add it to your Custom Set. It will be publicly view-able if you add at least one picture. There will be no View Coin button in the left most column of the SET LISTING tab, but you will be able to click on the camera icon in the far right column to see the full individual coin information and picture(s). It will also appear just like an OWNED coin in the the GALLERY and SLIDE SHOW tabs.

I used this technique in my Manila Mint Complete custom set to include a picture and description of the Gold, Wilson So-Called Dollar, since it is very unlikely that I will ever own one.

Thank you all for the lively conversation and your helpful comments. I appreciate all of you and value your opinions.

I found the following information about this medal in the Federal Council Bulletin for May 1920 (Vol 3, Num 5) of the Federal Council of Churches of Christ in America:

The Chaplains' Medal

The medal to be given by the Protestant churches united in war work to all their chaplains of the American Army and Navy who served in the war is the work of Mrs. Laura Gardin Fraser, of New York, one of the best known of American medalists.

The task which was given to Mrs. Fraser was to produce a design which would express the spirit of the men who served as chaplains and which should represent both branches of the service. That the sculptor has achieved a notable success and produced a medal of rare distinction and beauty is the judgment of competent artists and critics.

In the design for the chaplains' medal, Mrs. Fraser has chosen to represent an army chaplain in the act of supreme service, ministering at the risk of his own life to a wounded man. To those familiar with experiences at the front, the danger of the situation will be at once apparent. In the center of the design the gas mask is seen, ready for immediate adjustment. Indeed, the suggestion is that the chaplain has, perhaps, momentarily removed it, the better to succor the wounded man. Each detail of the chaplain's equipment has been carefully scrutinized and pronounced correct by more than one who served at the front. Strength and sympathy are expressed in the finely modeled figure of the chaplain. The figure of the wounded man represents one of those who served the big guns and were frequently stripped to the waist when in action. This choice of a subject appealed to the sculptor for its artistic possibilities. The very strength of the splendidly modeled back seems by contrast to accentuate the helplessness of the wounded gunner.

The fine record of the men who served as chaplains in the Navy, many of them constantly passing back and forth through the submarine danger zone, ministering to the crews of the naval vessels and the soldiers on the transports, is recalled by the representation of the battleship on the reverse of the medal. The design of this side, with the cross as the central feature, is dignified and strong.

If the thought occurs that not all the chaplains were privileged to serve as the chaplain represented on the obverse of the medal, the answer is that the design expresses the kind of service for which every man who entered the chaplaincy in both the Army and Navy was ready and eager.

The striking of these medals is the realization of a suggestion made soon after the armistice in the Executive Committee of the General War-Time Commission of the Churches. The Committee approved the proposal and made it one of the tasks committed to the General Committee on Army and Navy Chaplains when the War-Time Commission dissolved.

It is hoped the medals will have a permanent value for those who receive them. They are the gift of the churches which worked in closest fellowship during the war in carrying out their common tasks through the War-Time Commission. The medals are intended to convey in tangible form a message of grateful appreciation from the churches to their chaplain sons who were ready to give up life itself, if necessary, in the service of their fellows in the Army and Navy. The churches are proud indeed of the splendid record the chaplains made.

A word of gratitude should be said for the interest taken by the sculptor in her task. Mrs. Fraser brought to it an understanding sympathy without which so satisfying a result could never have been obtained. The medals are to be struck in bronze by the Gorham Company of New York. The Sub-Committee on the Medal of the General Committee on Army and Navy Chaplains was composed of Rev. E. B. Bagby, Rev. W. Stuart Cramer, Prof. John R. Hawkins, Rev. Forest J. Prettyman, Rev. E. O. Watson and Rev. Gaylord S. White.

Hi Gary- nice looking medal and as usual a great story. Of course many thanks to you and all those that have served in our Armed Forces! Personally I see nothing wrong with having your medals graded- keeps your custom set in a more orderly fashion and probably increases the resale value. Assuming they do not come back with details grades it also avoids any questions regarding authenticity or cleaning. See you soon at the Central States show! take care Dave

Actually, I just got the grades released today from the first 8 medals I submitted and I am delighted with the results. Of those medals, six were MS-65 and higher with one 67. The others were a MS-63 which I thought should be higher and one that I knew was a risk and came back as unc-details. Oh well. Here's the link to my set if you'd like to see the first batch of graded medals. Maybe I'll post my rational for getting them graded in a future post. Gary

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetGallery.aspx?s=19449

there is one great web site that is FREE, and you can either put up to ten of your photos per coin, plus your comments, or open a store and sell them for a 2% fee IF it sells, no cost whatsoever anyway. Paypal or any other payment is allowed.

Spread the word: it is called USA Coin Book and the url is www.usacoinbook.com.

Enjoy!