• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Making 58's Part 2 posted by Villarreal

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Part 2

hi coinman....

to address your point, but for the sake of brevity, 'I put the coins in my pocket'...should have included every thing you mentioned....I wasn't brutal but the coins saw a lot of attention...

I was not trying to lower coins incrementally, I started with coins that graded the 64 - 66 spread most fell in....and as JTO stated....the 58 has the appearance of a higher grade with high point wear or 'breaking the luster'....every coin I submitted had high point luster 'broken'....that was my criteria for wear....even as slight as it was...

NGC thought differently and gave me the grades I posted....thanks for your input everyone...

See more journals by Villarreal

I have conducted my own experiments on what it takes to wear a coin. I found it very educational and I recommend it to any serious grader. It was eye opening to see what kind of strain a coin goes through to become AU, and XF45, and so on. I have new respect when I see an XF45 coin, because a coin goes through hell and back before it gets to that grade range.

From hand rubbing and friction with countertops, to more hand contact afterwards, all from many different directions, it takes a create deal of work to create actual wear, beyond what could be interpreted as coin on coin friction. In fact, I was able to wear a coin, then rub another coin over it and erase the wear with coin-on-coin friction. Thus a coin could go MS-whatever down to AU58, then back to MS61 or MS62 again due to coin on coin friction. You can simulate this with a couple of clad quarters.

Obviously, I think the simple answer to your problem is that you needed to do a lot more rubbing.

Or...

Submit them in a pseudo third party slab with higher 62, 63 grades (one of the slabs eBay does not recognize but still lets people sell, that is make your own). Gen some coin world pseudo slabs and label maker and whip up a set. They will down grade them for sure. I think I am kidding but I am not sure.

John AKA JTO