• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lowest Premium for Gold

7 posts in this topic

I just posted a blog about this. But from what I can find right now, these seem to have the lowest premium over spot for gold right now because APMEX has a sale on them:

http://www.apmex.com/product/157/austria-gold-100-coronas-bu-random

At last look, the price of any quantity of these -- and payment with an electronic check or bank wire -- is a 1% premium over gold spot. (I know they're only .9802 toz...and I'm pretty sure I did the math correctly.)

Even the lowest premium for a 10 ounce bullion bar from the secondary market is 1.4%: https://www.providentmetals.com/asahi-10-oz-gold-bar.html?utm_source=compare+gold&utm_medium=compare+gold&utm_campaign=compare+gold

Anyone know of anything that's lower than 1% premium over spot without something like an eBay auction?

Probably more important is to look at the buy-sell spread. If you can buy something at 1% over spot, but can't sell it for more than 5% under, that's not as good of a deal as something you can buy for 2% over and sell at 1% under.

I don't know what the spread is on these, or other bullion items for that matter, but you probably need to look at the full picture when deciding what form of bullion is the best deal for you.

Probably more important is to look at the buy-sell spread. If you can buy something at 1% over spot, but can't sell it for more than 5% under, that's not as good of a deal as something you can buy for 2% over and sell at 1% under.

I don't know what the spread is on these, or other bullion items for that matter, but you probably need to look at the full picture when deciding what form of bullion is the best deal for you.

Yeah, I didn't look at the spread on these either. Normally, I just buy Eagles, or really, mostly Maple Leafs in terms of bullion.

I was just looking for the absolute lowest in terms of premium.

I understand the reason dealers charge premiums on gold. Bullion doesn't even leave the Mint without a premium. But if you buy one silver Eagle from APMEX, JM, or one of the big guys like that, you could pay 25%-30% premium. It's nuts.

It's nearly to the point -- maybe this is the whole idea -- that investors are more often better off in an ETF or something like that to get exposure to physical precious metals. But then you're paying custodial fees, making long-term holding expensive.

When making a bullion purchase, I feel that only the buying spread is relevant. The sell spread is only important at some unknown future date when you liquidate, and the spread might be significantly different that at present.

There are so many "1930" gold Uruguay 5 Pesos being offered nowadays. My old Krause shows a mintage of ~100,000 ..... is this now being restruck as a bullion piece?

I've read that only 14,000 were released in 1930. Rumor has it that the rest were sold to Argentina in 1989. Maybe that's why there are so many?

I like the lower premium and overall design of the reverse.

v80igg.jpg

I like the symmetry. And the sun ray going through the 5 looks like a $ sign. The rays also go through the S's that make $ signs. I think it's a neat reverse.