• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picture editing

14 posts in this topic

Wondering what picture editing software do people use? I have been using paint, and only can crop squares, but want to be able to crop pre-set sizing by pulling an area of the circles and it widens entire circle. I do not have to do it freehand draw. Is there a free or cheap cropping tool out there that will do this?

I was using a VERY VERY old version of Photoshop until I went to the 64Bit Windows 7. I then bought Photoshop Elements...works pretty well. As to your requirement of the circles I don't know what you mean exactly.

My "extensive" review of Gimp is simple: I hated it. lol

jom

"Paint" is more like "Throw the stuff at the canvas."

Corel "Paintshop Pro" allows you to make circular selections (as in cropping a coin from the holder image), and to pre-define the pixel radius of a circular selection. (Can do the same for other shapes, too.) It's fairly cheap, and even version 'X' works fine. You can buy it direct or often find deals on ebay. It's not quite as robust as PhotoShop, but few collectors use 99% of the Adobe product's features.

GIMP or Photoscape are the 2 free pieces of software that can do elliptical cropping.

This. I like GIMP. It has many of the features of Photoshop, but is free. There are versions for Windows, Mac, and Linux based operating systems.

Is there one you prefer over the other

I prefer GIMP if I'm going the "free" route.

Personally, I pay $10 / month for an Adobe Photoshop license as I use it a lot (for more than just coin images).

-Brandon

I still use photoshop 10. I has everything I need with the limited photography I do. I wouldn't think anything extravagant would be needed for amateur photography. Now I have a cousin that does professional photography and I don't know the program he uses but I'm pretty sure he said it was pretty expensive.

I use these three which takes care of all editing needs:

Paint

XnView for Windows

Photoshop Elements.