• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Art and Science of Grading Coins

24 posts in this topic

Grading coins is the single most important skill for a coin collector to have. Plenty of books will show you pictures of coins in various grades, and ask you to match the coin to a picture. Very few books go through each facet of grading and explain them in depth, in easy to understand terms that even a novice can understand. There is plenty of science involved – but there is also an art to the skill of grading. This book will help you piece together each component: surfaces, luster, strike, wear, contact marks, and eye appeal. Beginners and advanced students of numismatics alike will learn something from The Art and Science of Grading Coins.

Link:

If you haven't picked up your copy yet, now's a great time to do it! What could be better than reading a good coin book on your back porch in the springtime sunshine?

Been a while since I bumped this. If you haven't gotten your copy yet, Amazon will be happy to print you one.

Ordered my copy yesterday and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Jason, as others have said, I hope you and so many others along the east coast are safe.

Been a while since I bumped this. If you haven't gotten your copy yet, Amazon will be happy to print you one.

Ordered my copy yesterday and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Jason, as others have said, I hope you and so many others along the east coast are safe.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy the book. I escaped any damage, and only lost power for a couple of hours.

Use that Christmas money to buy books! Such as The Art and Science of Grading Coins!

You've seen the book around, you've heard people talking about it, but you just haven't gotten it yet. Now, with that Christmas money you just go, go ahead and buy yourself a really good book - you'll need something interesting to read by the fireplace as winter arrives.

Link here:

Just finished your book Jason- this was a fun, educational, and interesting read.  I hope you continue pursuits in writing a few more books!

Thanks,  

Rich  

Grading coins is the single most important skill for a coin collector to have. Plenty of books will show you pictures of coins in various grades, and ask you to match the coin to a picture. Very few books go through each facet of grading and explain them in depth, in easy to understand terms that even a novice can understand. There is plenty of science involved – but there is also an art to the skill of grading. This book will help you piece together each component: surfaces, luster, strike, wear, contact marks, and eye appeal. Beginners and advanced students of numismatics alike will learn something from The Art and Science of Grading Coins.

Link:

On 3/19/2016 at 6:56 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Link:

Take a look!