• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of My More Fun Coin Journeys

9 posts in this topic

I've collected coins for quite some time along with many other types of collectibles and have always loved the history and study that numismatics provides. I took a break from coins for about the last few years and last night while cleaning some stuff ran across a box of coins that had been put aside back then. In the box were some raw coins I had intended to ship off to NGC but never got around to it.

I have a registry set of Franklin halves that I built and as the set was almost complete I read there were a few years that business strikes were made with proof dies. My quest started by searching for a 1949s PL example. I studied the pictures of the 1949s MS65 PL coins I found online and two had an identical but small die mark so that was what I looked for as I scoured Ebay.

It took about a month and I bid on a coin that had the diagnostic mark and ended up winning it for about $40. As soon as I got it I knew it was indeed a proof like 49s so off it went to NGC and it came back MS65 FBL PL. One of my best finds in my humble coin collecting career.

Fast forward to last night and the box I found. Many years ago I bought a roll of BU 1959 Franklin halves and after finding the 49s proof like I went through the roll and pulled out two coins that looked promising. One definitely has a proof like reverse but the obverse I'm not sure about. The other is proof and both sides are actually better than the 49s. So today it got shipped off to NGC for express service and I hope to be able to report good news as soon as I get the results.

Didn't mean to be so long winded but this hobby has its share of disappointments so I thought I would share one of my better outcomes. Here are pictures of the 49s and I hope to post similar ones of a 59 soon.

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/mmarc77/media/IMG_1683_zpsqvamwryh.jpg.html

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/mmarc77/media/IMG_1684_zpswbkeck1j.jpg.html

http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/mmarc77/media/IMG_1685_zpsvnbanjik.jpg.html

Thanks jpcienkus!

I find it curious that the registry for the ms65 FBL PL is only 65 points more than the ms65 FBL and 426 less than a ms66 FBL considering the low pops of the PL.

That's a great '49 S story. One of the most fun areas of numismatics has to be the variety search.

It's nice to be able to do that online from the comfort of home.

Good luck with those '59's......Very nice story....

Paul

That's awesome, congrats on the great find!

I had to get mine the hard way (bought at auction). I have a 1949S 65+ FBL PL.

It's not real until you post a picture Jason... :whistle:

Can you post a picture? I'll bet it's quite stunning.

That's awesome, congrats on the great find!

I had to get mine the hard way (bought at auction). I have a 1949S 65+ FBL PL.

It's not real until you post a picture Jason... :whistle:

Can you post a picture? I'll bet it's quite stunning.

Haha, I've posted it several times, and it is in my Registry set. This is actually the third 49S PL I've owned. I started with a 64PL, upgraded to a 64FBL PL, and then sold them both to pay for this one.

Here it is, pics by Bob Campbell:

JPA926obverse.jpg

JPA926reverse.jpg

Very nice coin Jason. Thanks for playing along with my snark from earlier.

I know you are quite the coin photographer as well. I'd be interested to see how they compare to Bob's (Robec). I've been meaning to put a group of coins together to send to Bob, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Very nice coin Jason. Thanks for playing along with my snark from earlier.

I know you are quite the coin photographer as well. I'd be interested to see how they compare to Bob's (Robec). I've been meaning to put a group of coins together to send to Bob, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Nice coin and great photo. What a skill and one that eludes me.