• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stars and Non-Stars

25 posts in this topic

Question:

Given the details surrounding the Star grade given to NGC coins. Are they sought after more than just the normal grade of the same coin and grade? Of course, owning many star graded coins, I find them to be even more appealing than the standard grade coins of the same strike type and series.

Stars are pretty....and far, far away....they twinkle --- well, except the sun.

The whole point behind a star is that "this coin" has eye appeal greater than others of the same denomination, date and grade. Stars are awarded most often for exceptional color....but not always.

Additionally, star coins are worth more registry points than their non-star counterparts. Writing that sentence makes me think of Dr. Seuss's Sneetches...

You can have a company "name a star" for you or someone else. They'll even sell you a nicely printed certificate suitable for framing (or starting a fire). Maybe that could be done with these?

I would say in general Yes.

I actively search for the "*" designation on NGC graded coins. I like browsing through them to see if there's anything that appeals to my eye.

well, except the sun.

If you were far enough away, and viewing through a planets atmosphere, the Sun would twinkle too. Outside the atmosphere none of them twinkle.

I don't actively search the stars but, if I find a star in my series, I try and haul it in:

NGC_MS67RB_Combo2.jpg

It is very subjective and there is no set percentage.

Could be nothing, could be 10% or could be 1000% depending on how frenetic the bidding gets and how bad someone wants it.

Sometimes, it is all about money and ego.

Personally, I don't think I'd go above 25-30%

Question? So how much does a star designation increase the value of a coin??10% 20%?

The star designation itself? Probably not much. The eye appeal of the coin? Anywhere from 0% to several multiples of generic retail.

I was just looking at a 1940-S NGC 65 * Walker on eBay for $2150 with 'make an offer' function.

The coin is normally a $350 coin, so that is a 600% markup for the STAR.

The color is stunning and the strike is even well above average (more important to me). But I would never pay that money for a STAR.

I'd rather buy a 66 and still have $950 left over.

My other concern is that toning is UNSTABLE and COULD change over the years, although if kept in the proper environment it SHOULD be 'OKAY'.

Just my 2c

I agree with coinman above. What the star represents (i.e. A coin with superior eye appeal) is different from the star itself, and MUCH more important. I'd say the designation alone, given an identical coin to compare, would net anywhere from a 0-30% premium.

I was just looking at a 1940-S NGC 65 * Walker on eBay for $2150 with 'make an offer' function.

The color is stunning and the strike is even well above average (more important to me). But I would never pay that money for a STAR.

My other concern is that toning is UNSTABLE and COULD change over the years, although if kept in the proper environment it SHOULD be 'OKAY'.

Just my 2c

So what would you pay for the 1940-S MS65 *? Based on your assessment of the coin, it sounds like it deserves the *, but the seller is asking a hefty premium.

I personally like looking through NGC * designation coins. I find many of them quite attractive. I also believe many sellers are using the * to ask for big premiums.

Just my 2c

So what would you pay for the 1940-S MS65 *? Based on your assessment of the coin, it sounds like it deserves the *, but the seller is asking a hefty premium.

I personally like looking through NGC * designation coins. I find many of them quite attractive. I also believe many sellers are using the * to ask for big premiums.

That coin is one of the nicest STAR Walkers that I've see, so it is certainly worth a premium. I am not a big 'color' guy (although I do appreciate it) and I just wouldn't pay a 600% premium. I could see myself paying $600 or 700 for it maybe.

There ARE guys out there who will pay that kind of money for a colorful gem but I am not one of them.

Lord knows that I've PAID UP for some of my coins, though. I prefer sharp strikes and good luster (which this coin also has). It's just for that kind of money (and a little left over); I'd rather have a sharp, clean, lustrous 66 without the color but that is just me.

I still think that the seller is trying to really high-ball someone with his asking price but YES that is one unique coin, so maybe he'll find the right someone who makes him a good offer.

Remember---he has the 'Make An Offer' function in place.

Beautiful coin, in any event.

That coin is one of the nicest STAR Walkers that I've see, so it is certainly worth a premium. I am not a big 'color' guy (although I do appreciate it) and I just wouldn't pay a 600% premium. I could see myself paying $600 or 700 for it maybe.

There ARE guys out there who will pay that kind of money for a colorful gem but I am not one of them.

Very interesting... I think I offered him $750 for it in a previous listing. We think a lot alike about this particular coin.

Just my 2c

Lord knows that I've PAID UP for some of my coins, though. I prefer sharp strikes and good luster (which this coin also has). It's just for that kind of money (and a little left over); I'd rather have a sharp, clean, lustrous 66 without the color but that is just me.

I still think that the seller is trying to really high-ball someone with his asking price but YES that is one unique coin, so maybe he'll find the right someone who makes him a good offer.

Thanks for taking the time to respond with more detail. I understand your points completely. Aside from the toning aspect, I believe we're on the same page. I like toned coins, but I also like them "white".

Very interesting... I think I offered him $750 for it in a previous listing. We think a lot alike about this particular coin.

Indeed.

And I'll take that as a compliment. :)

Just my 2c

Thanks for taking the time to respond with more detail. I understand your points completely. Aside from the toning aspect, I believe we're on the same page. I like toned coins, but I also like them "white".

You're Welcome.

I too like them white, lustrous and SHARP. :)

I'll buy a colored one, when the opportunity presents itself, but I WON'T pay a big premium for it.

Stars are pretty....and far, far away....they twinkle --- well, except the sun.

If you get far enough, the sun twinkles too.

Oops, I see another astrophysicist beat me to it after opening the thread and cooking dinner.