• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Statehood Quarters Key Dates

9 posts in this topic

WOW, some of these are REALLY getting hard to find...

I haven't seen any literature as of yet on actual Key Dates, etc. so thought I'd make a list of my hard ones to find.

Keeping in mind that my collection is NGC only. AND, MS67 or higher:

2000-P New Hampshire (I've been looking for MONTHS!)

2001-D New York

2001-D Rhode Island

2002-D Ohio

2002-D Louisiana

2002-D Mississippi

I'm noticing a trend in 2002 that its the Denver Mint coins that I can't find at that high of a grade in NGC...

The apparent reason you cannot find these coins in an NGC holder as an MS-67 is because the submission volume is much lower. I didn't look at your list in both population reports completely but as one example for the NH 2000-P, PCGS has a count of 611 but NGC only 72.

I have never heard that any of these coins are classified as "key".

I've certainly noticed that there are FAR more PCGS than NGC in these coins... Makes it quite difficult to find what I'm looking for.

Not mintage or conditional rarity but NGC rarity it seems...

The 2002-D Mississippi should be available next week along with 14 other coins you need in your set. :wishluck:

The submission I sent in 02/14/16 -- 86 business strike state quarters should get graded out this next week. :grin:

To keep your set all NGC it would be easy to add MS66 to the dates you can't find in MS67 to complete. Later on you can upgrade to 67's when they become more available.

I will have 68 more spare state quarter coins after I add the newly graded ones to my set from this submission.

Good Luck and enjoy completing the set!!

Rick

Also, remember Rick... I'm not wanting to "fill in holes" with MS66's... 67's or better or nothin'! :) haha...

Or, at least I'll be tryin'!

If I have to change my set to MS66 or higher I'll be very disappointed for having to settle...

lol

I've certainly noticed that there are FAR more PCGS than NGC in these coins... Makes it quite difficult to find what I'm looking for.

Not mintage or conditional rarity but NGC rarity it seems...

I don;t believe your experience should be surprising given your criteria.

My suspicion is that you aren't going to see an existing NGC MS-67 up for sale often because of the low market value. Some collectors may sell a single coin in isolation on occasion but I expect mostly in multiple or complete sets because they don't want to bother with it. I also consider the chances of any individual collector becoming aware of these sales to be rather low. You are unlikely to know about it unless it is on eBay or if you work with dealers who specialize in this area (MCM or Wonder Coin). But usually, its likely to be to a local dealer who doesn't have their shop in your area and doesn't know you are looking for it.

Your best option is to "make" the coin by submitting it yourself or finding someone here or on PCGS as it seems you have with Rick.

Yeah, I agree. Rick has recommended it as well from the standpoint that I begin to work with rolls, etc. and start submitting myself.

I might just have to roll up my sleeves and start doing that.

Also, need to swing by the local coin shops and see what they might have. I haven't done that yet .