• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 Peace Dollar - Glossy Luster & Strong Strike (Comparison Photos)

13 posts in this topic

Here's a 1921 Peace Dollar purchased in July 2015 that I'm pleased to share with my fellow forum members.

I'm looking forward to seeing your thoughts, observations and comments about her. :)

The top set of photos are those that I took of this thread's subject coin that accurately depict some of the reason's why I decided to purchase it.

I'm pleased with how well they capture the strong striking details, glossy mint luster and high eye appeal of this interesting 1921 early die state (EDS) Peace Dollar.

They're certainly a great improvement over the original seller's scanned images, and the NGC certification verification images also posted below.

1921 Peace Dollar - Glossy Luster & Strong Strike

1921%20Peace%20NGC-64%20NNC%20-%20Obverse%20-%20CB_zpscv9u84er.jpg1921%20Peace%20NGC-64%20NNC%20-%20Reverse%20-%20CB_zpsph9bklys.jpg

Here's a quick comparison of the three sets of images at approximately the same scale for comparison purposes:

My Photos - Taken in Natural Diffused Sunlight

1921%20Peace%20NGC-64%20NNC%20-%20Montage%20CB_zpsm1kerth5.jpg

Original Seller's - Scanned Images

1921%20Peace%20VAM-1H%20-%20NGC-64%20-%20NNC%20Scanned%20Web%20Listing%20Images%20-%20Obv%20-%20Cropped_zpsspu9ynbk.jpg1921%20Peace%20VAM-1H%20-%20NGC-64%20-%20NNC%20Scanned%20Web%20Listing%20Images%20-%20Rev%20-%20Cropped_zpsmlnjcxjj.jpg

NGC Certification Verification - Photographic Images

1921%20NCG-64%20Peace%20-%20Montage%20NGC%20Cert%20Photo_zpsh2avcymj.jpg

Wow. The coin looks very different in all the photos.

I think it is very nicely struck. There are a contact marks on Ms. Liberty which I believe will keep the grade down. From the sellers photos, there appears to be circulation rub on the high points on the obverse and reverse. Normally, for a '21, I'd say it was due to an incomplete strike, but your other photos show differently with regard to the strike.

I can see this going AU58 or MS63+. Either way, IMO, it's very nice coin.

Nice detail. Too bad about the "freckles" on Liberty's cheek, etc.

Great that you could see the real coin through the awful scans.

The strike definitely makes this coin worthwhile. I have never been able to run into one that was that sharp. The marks on the face should keep the grade and the price down. I could see paying a modest premium above the grade because of the strike.

Super strike + superior preservation = a "moon money" price.

Super strike + average or below average preservation = a modest premium.

Coins from the first day's production will rarely have much luster - it takes time and use to develop luster and few dies lasted very long on that day (per Morgan's complaint).

Cool coin, despite its issues. I'd buy it too, just to have an example close to the designer's original intent. What a fantastic series it could have been. Even today I bet the mint would have issues striking it in quantity with full relief.

Which of these images most accurately represent the coin's actual coloration?

Afterword: In reply to your above quoted question, the coin is blast white with a Glossy to almost Semi-Prooflike luster in the fields, and light Cameo Contrast with Frosty devices..

It possesses one of the best overall strikes of my 1921 Peace Dollar collection, and appears to be an early die state coin, perhaps struck during the first 2 days of mintage on either Dec 28 or 29.

Judging from the strong strike, it may have one of the 1921 Peace Dollars minted using the 150 Ton striking pressure (Ref: Roger Burdette's A Guide Book of Peace Dollars and his post about the subject coin earlier in this thread.).