• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1907 Indian penny

8 posts in this topic

Here is a penny worth a few bucks.

I am using the RED BOOK to try to grade it.

I would say somewhere between very fine and ex fine.

Although the coin is very dirty with some green mung on it.

Nice chocolate brown color.

If you were to sell this coin what would you grade it ?

If you wanted to buy this coin would you grade it the same ?

Obvious noob questions.

160254.jpg.83f4169d4a45b894a39218d3a1f9aa09.jpg

160255.jpg.a62facfe999dc318d13ca485aae12f9c.jpg

Au details with environmental damage. The net grade would come down to VF, and most collectors would prefer a no problem VF to a net graded VF.

Sorry to sound so negative, but that's an honest opinion.

I'm a newbie too. So what is considered environmental damage and why is that a separate factor from the grade? I mean isn't it just factored in and you get a grade? As opposed to net grade?

The corrosion in the headress would be the environmental damage.

The coin's been circulated some (AU), Environmental Damage and it's the most common indian cent.

So.......

My guess is this coin was lost soon after it went into circulation. As a result the design remained sharp in near mint condition. The trouble was the place it was stored was a bit damp which caused the corrosion. This type low wear / environmental problems is not unusual. Many of the coins that are nice all the way around have been stored collections for decades or centuries.