• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eric P. Newman biography

43 posts in this topic

newman%20book%20pic_zpsi5xmjb8a.jpg

From the Heritage site:

A powerful and intimidating dealer of the 1960s, backed by important colleagues, was accused of selling fraudulent gold coins and ingots to unsuspecting numismatists. Who would go up against a man like that and, over the course of decades, prove the fraud? Who would expose a widely respected scholar as a thief, then doggedly pursue recovery of coins that the scholar had stolen from an embarrassed numismatic organization, all over the objections of influential collectors who had bought coins with clouded titles?

Eric P. Newman would –– and did.

Researched, written and edited by titans in the numismatic field, Truth Seeker: The Life of Eric P. Newman, is an expansive biography. The book comprises 400+ pages of memorable stories suffused with fascinating illustrations and documents, all chronicling the admirable life of Newman, now 104 years young. In 43 chapters, Truth Seeker traces Newman’s world-class collection from its inspiration – when his grandfather gave him an 1859 Indian head copper-nickel cent – to explaining the theory behind Newman’s favorite coin. The history and content of his renowned and unparalleled collection, which he donated to charitable causes, would alone have been more than enough to fill the pages. Yet this work also profiles those who influenced him, both allies and adversaries, alongside the intellect, ethics, drive, and eternal optimism of a highly accomplished philanthropist who led his beloved hobby out of its own dark ages.

Newman biography

Researched & Written by Roger W. Burdette, Leonard Augsburger, & Joel Orosz

Edited by James Halperin.

Hey, I own an 1859 IHC pedigreed to the Eric P. Newman Collection. I wonder if it's the same one his grandfather gave him! Regardless, I also have placed an order for the book.

Gary

Somewhere back in the early 1980's I was consulting with Eric in my official capacity as Senior Authenticator for the ANA, regarding one of the suspect 1853 U.S. Assay Office of Gold $20's which had come into the office.

At some point in the conversation Eric said "There is a very easy way to prove that these are counterfeits. Give John J. Ford a lie detector test!"

TD

"I wonder if it's the same one his grandfather gave him! "

Unfortunately, the "original" cent was stolen during the burglary of Eric's home many years - decades - ago. But, one can imagine.

Unfortunately, the "original" cent was stolen during the burglary of Eric's home many years - decades - ago. But, one can imagine.

Still, I can imagine him thinking of that original cent when he added mine to his collection. Gary

yes one has to wonder at times ;)

Having purchased and read John Ford and the Franklin Hoard I can hardly wait for this book to arrive. It's immediately going to the top of my stack of books to read!

Mark

I ordered my copy.

It's nice that there's no shipping charge!

Me too. Less than $24 for a book is pretty cheap these days. Look forward to reading it.

May have to purchase this one.

Roger you've finally received your just dues as a researcher:

"Researched, written and edited by TITANS in the numismatic field. . ."

;)

May have to purchase this one.

Roger you've finally received your just dues as a researcher:

"Researched, written and edited by TITANS in the numismatic field. . ."

;)

Well, I'm waiting for the movie version...and the Oscar awards. Now -- where to put that gold statue? Will it clash with the green shag carpet, faux knotty-pine paneling and yellow formica counter tops? OR -- Should it go in the particle board with genuine laminate walnut-finish gun cabinet with my collection of 50 cal machine guns? (Great for target practice - bulls eye every time!)

Well, I'm waiting for the movie version...and the Oscar awards. Now -- where to put that gold statue? Will it clash with the green shag carpet, faux knotty-pine paneling and yellow formica counter tops? OR -- Should it go in the particle board with genuine laminate walnut-finish gun cabinet with my collection of 50 cal machine guns? (Great for target practice - bulls eye every time!)

:signfunny:

I just ordered my copy as well. I look forward to reading it. I have been able to acquire a few coins from the collection sold at Heritage and want to learn more about this man/numismatist.

The book took a lot of work by all three authors, each applying their areas of expertise and knowledge. Research and final working draft took 17 months, then Jim Halperin put in a lot of time editing and cross checking before the 1st edition was printed and released.

My copy arrived today. I am amazed at the quality of the print copy. Hardbound, gold lettering, autographed by Mr. Newman himself, my copy is numbered 111 of 250.

Truly stupendous that such a wonderful copy was available for $24! Can't wait to read it. (thumbs u (thumbs u

Just snapped a couple pictures with my phone, so excuse the glare. :)

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm showing the black hard bound book, the title page of the book (in full color!), and the autographed individually numbered book plate just inside the front cover.

eric_p_newman_hardbound_book_zpslrcvhjji.jpg

My copy (#104) arrived this afternoon. My congratulations to the authors--a perusal of this book leaves me with the feeling that this will be a core reference for anyone interested in the history of 20th-Century U.S. numismatics. It's well made and a good value for the price (and came via FedEx!).

My book came today and is numbered 101 of 250. My congratulations to the authors! I have just read the first chapter and a half or so and noticed that the book is a very good read. I'm looking forward to many enjoyable hours reading this book!

Gary

Copy 98 arrived yesterday. Was shocked to see it was a black hardbound copy! Was expecting a red softbound like the one pictured on the website. I'm 16 chapters into it and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It is more than just a biography of Newman, it also covers his family, his wife and her family, and Burdette Johnson. so far. This has to be the best bargain I've purchased so far this year.

Burdette G.Johnson was one of those low-key coin dealers who was extremely knowledgeable and entirely honest. He handled too many rarities to count and had the complete trust of clients. He avoided hobby arguments and personalities in favor of mentoring newcomers and sticking to business. His only emotional life seemed to be with the daughter of a woman who spurned his marriage proposal....but that stuff is in the book too.

I have just finished reading this book, and strongly recommend it to anyone interested in 20th-century U. S. numismatics. It is chock full of fascinating information, most of which I already knew from multiple sources, some I did not (especially tidbits contained in excerpts from private letters). It's all there numismatically: Burdette Johnson, the 1913 Liberty nickels, Col. E.H.R. Green's coins, Wayte Raymond and other interesting characters, run-ins with John J. Ford, the location of large cents that Dr. Sheldon swiped from the American Numismatic Society collection and moves to get coins back from Ted Naftzger, research on colonial counterfeiting, etc. I would have been interested to see comments regarding some other contemporaries (Abe Kosoff and Max Mehl come to mind) on the dealer side of the hobby, but this is a minor quibble. The book is very well written. BUY THIS BOOK!

For those who read Karl Moulton's 'John J. Ford and the Franklin Hoard,' I can say that this book complements it well. I believe that the assessments of these two men (Ford and Franklin) in the Newman biography are more frank than Karl's.

Contemporary comments about Burdette Johnson are very sparse. He was not an arguer and did not push coins like most others, so there are few gripes or other remarks about him. To make it doubly difficult many dealers destroyed or discarded their business and personal correspondence. For example, Abe Kosoff burned everything except for some bland material he gave to Dave Bowers....all of the "insider meat" was destroyed. A similar situation is found with others....the details are missing and what remains is only what the dealer wanted to have visible. John Ford's papers are with his family.