• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advertised Key Date FAKE Morgans...Shame!

20 posts in this topic

Found this listing on Etsy, an interesting site that could have established a point of differentiation that wasn't as similar to that of the giant online auction house...but hey, why break the mold when you can copy?

Such is the case with the advertised key date Morgan dollars...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/248745651/morgan-dollar-coins-90silver?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=morgan%20dollar&ref=sr_gallery_12

From China, method casting...conveniently left off on coins is COPY.

What do the next generation of coin collectors have to contend with?

The seller does say in the ad that they are fake. "Made to Order" " Ships from China" "Method of manufacture Casting". People just have to take the time to read the entire ad and understand the key words.

From China, method casting...conveniently left off on coins is COPY.

What do the next generation of coin collectors have to contend with?

I think it was in 2008 or so that Coin World ran a two-part interview with one of the biggest counterfeiters of US coins in Shanghai. Readers were told that the loophole in Chinese law allowed the counterfeiters to produce coins without the word "REPLICA" (they don't use the word "COPY" in China) as long as the coins were produced solely for the Asian market. So, all the counterfeiters had to do was sell the fake coins somewhere in Asia, and then the coins could be shipped from there to anywhere else in the world. The Chinese counterfeiters were off the hook!

It's not just China that the next generation of collectors have to put up with! We have the same problem right here in the good ole USA. It's just that the "crappy copies" made here are called something else.

Chris

I have heard some of these have been caught at customs entering the country. The secret service has then gone after the person purchasing / importing them.

Here is the law, found this today. Coin needs to have "copy" indicating it's a reproduction.

But of course that law doesn't apply to manufacturers outside the country. It is perfectly legal for them to make them without the word copy on them. And it is legal for them to ship the fakes to the United States as well. It is illegal for the person here to import them. So it is only the person living here that buys them and brings them in that is breaking the law, NOT the person doing the counterfeiting.

Yes, very unfortunate that the Chinese can operate under this umbrella of protection; but...where there is demand, someone will meet that supply. Greed has no cultural boundaries in this case.

IMO, it's logical to prosecute those that are generating the demand for Chinese made counterfeits, and redistributing these stateside. Only way to eliminate the supply is by hammering down on the buyers. May sound harsh but is there any other way?

I suppose the only exceptions to this would be those that don't know a Morgan from a Mercury; but, I wouldn't think those buyers are targeted by the Chinese since key dates are fabricated to the closest resemblance possible.

May sound harsh but is there any other way?

Yes, because the amendments to HPA signed into law last December place the sales venue in the chain of liability as well. The moment someone important-enough connected to numismatics can get the ear of FTC, the legal requirements to sanction Ebay and Etsy have already been fulfilled because they both know they're selling counterfeits and have refused to stop.

"The moment someone important-enough connected to numismatics can get the ear of FTC, the legal requirements to sanction Ebay and Etsy have already been fulfilled because they both know they're selling counterfeits and have refused to stop. "

SuperDave, I saw that "venue of liability," and thanks for the reminder. Very true, Etsy is just as complicit as the Chinese seller and I did my duty with reporting host, and seller to the Secret Service. This is something ALL COLLECTORS need to do as WE are on the front lines in this battle to fight the counterfeiters. Here is a helpful link to notifying the Secret Service for any counterfeit listings you see and be sure to report their host!

http://www.secretservice.gov/contact/field-offices/

I'm important enough, and so are you! We are the watchdogs, the Secret Service are our teeth! Go fight!

Regards,

Rich

Counterfeiters say the same things whether in Canton or Colorado.

I didn't know the Denver Mint was making "counterfeits".

One would think that someone who lives in Colorado would know that the Denver Mint doesn't produce counterfeit coins.

Chris

One would think that someone who lives in Colorado would know that the Denver Mint doesn't produce counterfeit coins.

Chris

Gentlemen! Take ten paces, turn, and.....take this squabble elsewhere! Thanks!

Chris

So who is this "Colorado Counterfeiter" then ?

Some people enjoy harassing others, but they do not want this darker side of their nature to be known, so they do so under the guise of protecting the innocent and helpless – the ignorant and inexperienced. They know full well that their insults and harassments achieve nothing constructive and only serve the purpose of satisfying their desire to be hateful and destructive. They shun any meaningful discourse or debate like vampires fleeing from the light of sunrise.