• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Tale of Two Cities

7 posts in this topic

It was the best of thalers, it was the worst of thalers...

Several city-view thalers were up for sale this November and I acquired one of Frankfurt am Main and one of Regensburg. Minted just a few years apart, they are from the last few decades of the Holy Roman Empire. Both of these were Free Imperial Cities, subordinate only to the Emperor, and had important roles in the Empire; Frankfurt was the city where kings and emperors were crowned and Regensburg hosted the principle decision making body, the Imperial Diet. Both are well struck with minimal wear but otherwise, they are a contrast in appearance.

The Frankfurt thaler has muted luster with significant toning, somewhat uneven and with a few crusty areas in the legend. The city view is in landscape style and the toning adds a weather-like effect as if a rain storm is passing through. It's quite ornate with elaborate framing of the city arms and the radiant triangle, caduceus and cornucopias symbols.

The Regensburg thaler is highly lustrous with only slight toning. The obverse shows the portrait of Emperor Joseph II and the reverse is a portrait of the city -- engraved on a large scale, accentuating its importance and grandeur, and features an impressive level of detail -- its precise lines are more in the style of an architectural drawing.

I know it's a stretch to paraphrase Dickens' famous first line with any relevance to these coins, but to me it is mainly about the range of Regensburg city view coins that were on offer. I chose the one with the best eye appeal but some may regard it as the worst because of its details grade. Between the two pictured here, I appreciate the qualities of the different styles, however I find the Frankfurt view more appealing. Toning and details grades generate strong opinions among collectors. Which city view do you prefer?

I'll post the full coin photographs with grades on the chat board.

~jack

17123.jpg

See more journals by jgenn

Hi Jack,

First off.....awesome coins!! Both of them! They're beautiful. But I'm with you....I dig the Frankfurt thaler myself. I think sometimes people are way too hard on Details graded coins, particularly with World issues. They can be really cool, and unavailable in full graded condition. Take my German Reichskreditkassen collections here on the Registry. Most of those are Details Graded, but they're zinc with next to no survivorship, so it's often a choice of Details Graded coin or no coin at all. In those instances, I always go with actually having the coin.

You Frankfurt Thaler definitely has its own distinct character to it and it has a great look! But so does your Regensburg Thaler! And Surface Hairlines is such a common boo boo with old European and Middle Eastern coins. I remember reading that these were caused by cleaning cloths that numismatists in those regions used in the 19th Century and the first half of the 20th Century. Both coins are absolutely stunning and highly enjoyable to contemplate. Excellent acquisitions and thanks for sharing them with us!

~Tom

Hi Jack

I also like the Frankfurt Thaler better, but as you know from my previous post (Exception Clauses in My Collection) not because the Regensburg Thaler is details graded. I just like the toning on the Frankfurt Thaler because it gives the devices better contrast. I also like the eagle arms on the obverse. That said, I'd be proud to own both coins, congratulations on such fine additions to your collection.

Gary

Thanks for your comments Tom and Gary! The comparison would be more fair if I could do a better job at photographing them. I struggle with the highly lustrous AU and low MS grade coins. Here's the Heritage Auctions pictures of the Regensgurg.

159520.jpg.0cf74eb8652d94537c99e6063370a8e0.jpg

Very nice pieces Jack. I own a few Thalers, but have not dedicated myself to the series yet.

Based on the first photos, I much prefer the Frankfurt. The patina/toning give the coin some depth.

After looking at the Heritage photo of the Regensburg, I've changed my original opinion on that coin. While I still prefer the Franfurt, the Regensburg is stunning too. It looks to have excellent detail!

Nice additions. I only hope mine will be as nice when adding to my collection.