• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to the Scene

29 posts in this topic

My wife just recieved some coins her Dad saved his whole life, bunch of Morgans,Ikes,JFK's and SBA's. and some silver quarters, I took them to Coin shop and he said worth only 107 dollars as silver weight, I refuse to believe these coins are almost 100 yrs old, 1921's 22's and a 1884 Morgan and worthless, he held these coins thru the depression, 2 dozen of them and only 100 bucks. I'm new here and would like to get them graded any advice Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Many/most Ikes and SBA's are worth only face value. Many older silver dimes, quarters and half dollars (even ones that are close to 100 years old) are worth approximately just their silver content - roughly 10X face value. Most circulated Peace Dollars are worth about $18 each and most circulated Morgan Dollars are worth about $20-$25 each.

The coins you mentioned are very likely NOT worth getting graded.

Often a coin's value is determined by the number of survivors, demand and condition, not its age.

Unfortunately just because something is saved, doesn't mean it's worth anything. I see this a lot. People will call me about buying their collection and when I show up it's all Clad Kennedy halves, Eisenhower and Susan B Dollars. I encourage them to walk them to the bank themselves because that's all they're worth. For the most part Morgans are junk silver. Now individual coins can be worth more, but there are several morgan and peace dollars that are so common that they just aren't worth more than silver, and may not be for another 100 years as more and more meet the smelter.

Unfortunately just because something is saved, doesn't mean it's worth anything. I see this a lot. People will call me about buying their collection and when I show up it's all Clad Kennedy halves, Eisenhower and Susan B Dollars. I encourage them to walk them to the bank themselves because that's all they're worth. For the most part Morgans are junk silver. Now individual coins can be worth more, but there are several morgan and peace dollars that are so common that they just aren't worth more than silver, and may not be for another 100 years as more and more meet the smelter.

Morgan and Peace dollars bring considerably more on a % basis than "junk silver" prices. If what you posted were correct, they would sell for roughly only $10 each and that's not the case.

Ok, but what if you're offered $100 for 20+ silver dollars as the OP seems to insinuate?

It will help members if you post a list of the coins or some quick camera phone photos. Anthony dollars, Ike dollars (except for the special 40% silver issues) and clad coins are going to be worth face value.

Dimes, quarters and halves dated 1964 and earlier are 90% silver and usually sell for approximately billion value. The silver dollars are also 90% silver but are worth more both for their higher silver content by weight and general interest in the large dollar coins.

We don't know if it's 2 dozen morgans, peace or Eisenhowers. A breakdown would help. It could be 20 Eisenhowers, 2 morgans and 2 peace dollars.

Agreed, which is why I asked for a breakdown of the exact offer before declaring war on a dealer :)

Dimes, quarters and halves dated 1964 and earlier are 90% silver and usually sell for approximately billion value.

Roger, I will gladly send you $100 face value in silver coins if you send me a billion.

Chris

My wife just recieved some coins her Dad saved his whole life, bunch of Morgans,Ikes,JFK's and SBA's. and some silver quarters, I took them to Coin shop and he said worth only 107 dollars as silver weight, I refuse to believe these coins are almost 100 yrs old, 1921's 22's and a 1884 Morgan and worthless, he held these coins thru the depression, 2 dozen of them and only 100 bucks. I'm new here and would like to get them graded any advice Thanks

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

It's not unusual for people who come into an inheritance of coins to think they are worth more just because they are old. Condition and scarcity play a big role in determining value. You didn't say if the 1921's are Morgan or Peace dollars. Both were produced that year, but the 1921 Peace dollar is much scarcer.

I'm guessing that the dealer offered you "melt value" for your coins because they are heavily circulated rather than brilliant uncirculated. To calculate the melt value, you would multiply .77344 times the current spot price for silver.

Chris

A late (deceased) friend was in the south at a pawn shop when a guy walked in with a pickle jar full of Morgan silver dollars, etc., and the guy offered him a dollar a piece; I guess the guy didn't know how to walk out and get several offers before accepting, which he did. How many people give up real numismatics without doing their due diligence as if it is found money?

Yes he said their only value was the silver weight, 9 Morgan silver dollars 1884,5 22's 3 23's and a 26, 9 Ike's. 1945 Liberty silver 1/2 dollar, 10 Kennedys. 5 silver quarters. 25 SBA.

If that's the case, he was not being truthful and should be avoided.

Yes he said their only value was the silver weight, 9 Morgan silver dollars 1884,5 22's 3 23's and a 26, 9 Ike's. 1945 Liberty silver 1/2 dollar, 10 Kennedys. 5 silver quarters. 25 SBA.

If that's the case, he was not being truthful and should be avoided.

I agree! The 17 Morgan and Peace dollars alone have a melt value of more than $180. Even if that dealer offered 20% under melt, it would still be better than $150.

Chris

Thanks everyone, I knew it. When I told him he was nots, he went to the safe and took out a whole bucket of Morgan silver dollars, I said if their not valuable why are they in the safe, I then asked him to get me a gradeed 65, he handed it ti me and it looked like the ones I had, now I know it's way more than eye view but you never know, I could have one. he had thousands of coins out all over the place some had 50 dollar price tags, but the Morgans were locked in safe, ok what is first step to get mine graded

Thanks everyone, I knew it. When I told him he was nots, he went to the safe and took out a whole bucket of Morgan silver dollars, I said if their not valuable why are they in the safe, I then asked him to get me a gradeed 65, he handed it ti me and it looked like the ones I had, now I know it's way more than eye view but you never know, I could have one. he had thousands of coins out all over the place some had 50 dollar price tags, but the Morgans were locked in safe, ok what is first step to get mine graded
I would recommend posting pictures here first, to see if they are worth sending in for grading.

First, you came to the right place for the best information. Most collectors are glad to share information and opinions. When someone at work asks me about some "old coins" they have sitting around the house, I usually end up giving them a recent copy of the Red Book. I always look out for them at library book sales (typically $1 or $2) and passing one on is always appreciated.

It's still highly unlikely the coins are worth grading. You would need to be reasonably sure of a 65 or better to justify the cost. If you can take good pictures and post them here, we can help you. If you don't trust dealers you don't know, you can put the coins for sale on the Marketplace here and see what responses you get.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Sadly, this is a case of age doesn't always equal high value. There are many Morgan and Peace dollar issues that exist in the millions of pieces and they do not carry a large premium in circulated grades simply because there are so many of them and its easy and affordable for most collectors to buy mint state pieces for them.

The same goes for many types of US silver coins. Without knowing what you have, I cannot speak to the actual value of your coins. But many times, people will build a hoard of common date silver coins that they found in circulation. Like I said, I do not know exactly what you have, but I'm going to guess that they're Washington quarters. There are more dates of Washington quarter that sell for bullion in circulated grades than there are dates that command a numismatic premium. Silver is also at a lower level than it has been in some recent years as well, likely accounting for the cost the dealer quoted you.

As for the Ikes, Kennedys and SBA's, they really are just face value unless you have any Kennedy halves dated from 1964 to 1970. Those all have silver in them, 90% for 1964 and 40% for 1965-1970. A lot of people think that Ikes, Kennedys and SBA's are rare because they aren't seen in circulation. But they're not. These coins were minted in huge numbers and they still exist in huge numbers, hiding out in groups of coins like your wife received. Collectors of these coins pursue them in super high grades ( I know. I sell a lot of US Modern coins myself) and they really do not desire circulated examples. So there's no market for those coins unless they are in high grade uncirculated condition.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the best truth I can give you without knowing exactly what you have. Also, a dealer has to make money to stay in business, so that will factor into what he or she offers you as well.

Best of luck to you!

~Tom

I don't know how to post a pic on here, I have them ready on my desktop, But don't know how to put them on this
You can open a free account with:

www.photobucket.com

Once you have uploaded pics there, you can coy and paste the code in your post.

Just because something is old doesn`t mean it`s worth something. I tell this to my sister and nephew all the time as they just started doing storage wars stuff. All they buy is old junk that nobody wants anymore. Your better off buying Lego and video games. Get into the modern hobbies and ride them out until they too die off like their collectors that hoarded them.

Young generations for the most part don`t want old generations junk,especially now into the digital age.

Sad,but true and no disrespect.

Kind of like people who cut out old baseball box scores to hoard found out their hobby worthless overnight now that all box scores can be looked at with a few internet clicks.

Just because something is old doesn`t mean it`s worth something. I tell this to my sister and nephew all the time as they just started doing storage wars stuff. All they buy is old junk that nobody wants anymore. Your better off buying Lego and video games. Get into the modern hobbies and ride them out until they too die off like their collectors that hoarded them.

Young generations for the most part don`t want old generations junk,especially now into the digital age.

Sad,but true and no disrespect.

Kind of like people who cut out old baseball box scores to hoard found out their hobby worthless overnight now that all box scores can be looked at with a few internet clicks.

Your comments are irrelevant. Comic books and boc scores have no intrinsic value. Coins do, and in this case, the dealer made an offer egregiously lower than the intrinsic value.

Some brick and mortar stores only offer half (or less) of what they can quickly get themselves - they justify if by cost of doing business / overhead.

You can add pictures with this site hosting photos by hitting the 'File Manager' link below the posting box.

159449.jpg.2e4c81165369006be06d791e3c546bfc.jpg