• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Numismatist is going to be available online - all of it!

16 posts in this topic

I just got an email from the ANA - all of the issues of The Numismatist (from 1888 to the present) are going to be available online on December 1st!

Wow!

What a trove of research material!

(Now I won't have to ask the ANA Library to mail a photocopy of an article to me.)

Now - I wonder how good the search tools will be?

I just got an email from the ANA - all of the issues of The Numismatist (from 1888 to the present) are going to be available online on December 1st!

Wow!

(Now I won't have to ask the ANA Library to mail a photocopy of an article to me.)

Now - I wonder how good the search tools will be?

Very good news!!

(thumbs u

Members only? or open to anyone?

Yes, members only. Which makes sense -- and in and of itself makes the membership worth every penny, IMO.

Digital-only membership to the ANA ("Gold" membership) is only $28/year - which is a real bargain, IMO.

Roger,

Since the Bass Index has been down, I've been using the ANS' DONUM, which I find to be very useful (and free).

edited to add: Actually, I wonder if the Newman Numismatic Project will replace the Bass Index or if the Bass Index has just run out of money?

ANA was supposed to be running the Bass NIP. So far, they have not been doing the job. I don't know the reason(s); all I get when I ask are excuses: "Had to wash my hair," "Have a headache," "The cat died and we're in mourning"....

Eventually NNP will have almost everything published on American numismatics from colonial to modern. This already includes many out-of-print newsletters, obscure pamphlets, laws, Congressional debates, government reports, and will include colonial-era materials relevant to money, commerce and coin/paper currency issues. The advantages of NNP are not only depth of material, but the ability to search and find what researchers want. This latter objective is a lot more difficult than just reporting everything that contains a key word.

Eric Newman and his EPNNES are fully behind this, and moving forward every day.

Conder, it's hard to tell...

The HBRF lists year by year grants - and it looks like the foundation is paying the ANA for the insurance costs of the HBCC - "core collection" which is on display at the ANA museum. And there have been periodic grants for gallery upgrades.

But nothing earmarked for the index.

Simple google searches don't seem to show anything about the history of the index...

The NIP was originally a HBRF project, which was then "given" to the ANA, which then dropped the ball (and the index).

I haven't checked out the Numismatist in quite a while, though I have a subscription and like the benefits that the ANA gives members. With discounts they are pretty inexpensive. I would like to see them googleable online for all.

Wow!

This is fabulous news, and I had no idea!!!!! VERY exciting!

"The Numismatist", and the EAC journals are the only printed periodicals I keep on my bookshelf, front and center.