• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Numismatic Errors on TV Shows

16 posts in this topic

Last Tuesday (Nov 17) CBS aired a new episode of NCIS.

During the program forensic scientist Abby Sciuto examined several $20 bills found among evidence in a murder case. She checked serial numbers with the Treasury and found that the bills were made "recently at the Philadelphia Mint." Also that bills made there would have been commonly used in a ATM in Norfolk, VA.

The above presents multiple errors. How many can you find?

What other numismatic errors have you seen on recent TV programs?

Not a recent show, and more a variety (if it were to ever have existed), but presented as an error on the show. The Andy Griffith show where Andy interests Barney in a Buffalo nickel with the buffalo facing the wrong way......

Paul

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A similarly egregious error was the title of a 1967 comedy about individuals printing paper money: Who's Minding the Mint?

Could it be that Philadelphia and Norfolk are in differenrt Federal Reserve districts so new "Philadelphia" notes would not liukely be used in Norfolk?

It goes back to the mid 1960s, but an early episode of "The Wild, Wild West" started with the robbery of bails of paper money from the Carson City where it had been printed.

Conder101 has another of the errors....But there's another.

(All of this is in 9 seconds of NCIS dialog...)

Recently rewatched "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World," which was released in 1963. The $350,000 in stolen money was buried 15 years earlier, which would be before the Series 1950 notes with the smaller Federal Reserve seals came out, but when they open the suitcase with the money all face up they bills all have the small Fed seals.

The movie "Run Silent, Run Deep" set during WW2 shows a dollar bill with IN GOD WE TRUST on it being laid on a bar to pay for a drink. Probably one of the Series 1935 bills issued with the motto, which would have fooled the prop man.

The movie "Pearl Harbor" shows a bill with the "HAWAII" overprint, which was not issued until the Summer of 1942.

The George C. Scott version of "A Christmas Carol" or "Scrooge" shows a King George V sovereign being placed on a scale.

The movie "Pearl Harbor" shows a bill with the "HAWAII" overprint, which was not issued until the Summer of 1942.

I noticed that when the movie came out in the theaters, but when it came out on DVD they had fixed that error.

Could it be that Philadelphia and Norfolk are in differenrt Federal Reserve districts so new "Philadelphia" notes would not liukely be used in Norfolk?

Back when I was working in Chicago, it was not unusual to get crisp packs of $1's from the bank from districts other than Chicago. I suspect the Fed didn't care.

Last Tuesday (Nov 17) CBS aired a new episode of NCIS.

During the program forensic scientist Abby Sciuto examined several $20 bills found among evidence in a murder case. She checked serial numbers with the Treasury and found that the bills were made "recently at the Philadelphia Mint." Also that bills made there would have been commonly used in a ATM in Norfolk, VA.

The above presents multiple errors. How many can you find?

What other numismatic errors have you seen on recent TV programs?

On "recent" programs, I am not sure since I don't watch TV. However, I can recall more than one instance where someone is handling a substantial sack or box of gold coins as if it weighed the same as a rag doll.