• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An 1875-P Twenty Cent Piece - My Double Dime Set Is Complete

19 posts in this topic

1875%20Twenty%20Cent%20O_zps6snewigy.jpg1875%20Twenty%20Cent%20R_zpseczccent.jpg

At long last I have completed my Twenty Cent Piece set, and no comments about the 1876-CC will be accepted. That one would make my bucket list only if I hit the $100 million lottery.

This coin has been harder to find than I ever thought it would be. I could have purchased at least five Proof coins to this piece in Mint State. I don't exactly understand why that would be since "the first of its kind" is often hoarded in some quantity.

This is the piece that came from the most recent Gardner sale. It was the piece that Gardner bought as a Proof in the 1990s, but when certified as a Mint State coin. I paid what thought was a high price for this one, but it's actually worth it. There is big price gap between MS-64 and 65, and this piece is high end for the 64 grade in my opinion. It also had not been dipped, although the color is a little uneven.

To add to my thoughts ATS:

This one is nicer than the rattler coin that you missed and that was significantly more expensive.

The blue and gold original tone is refreshing.

Congrats on completing the set.

Here is the link the Heritage auction for this piece. Neither photo gives a true picture of the coin. The close-up colors are way too bright, and the full slab photos are way too muddy. My pictures provides a more accurate view of the coin in hand.

1875-P Twenty Cent Heritage

This one is nicer than the rattler coin that you missed and that was significantly more expensive.

Yes, this is a much nicer example than that piece was, especially for the price. I was out on the rattle holder coin at around $2,400. It went for something like $4,700. :o

Even with the much cherished "green bean" it was a burial at that price.

Yes, this is a much nicer example than that piece was, especially for the price. I was out on the rattle holder coin at around $2,400. It went for something like $4,700. :o

Glad it worked out for you. Patience often pays. :)

It's curious that mint director Henry Lindermann was fully aware of the design's similarity to the quarter and recommended a different design. Yet, someone, somewhere, demanded this seated Liberty version be used and Lindermann complied.

It's curious that mint director Henry Lindermann was fully aware of the design's similarity to the quarter and recommended a different design. Yet, someone, somewhere, demanded this seated Liberty version be used and Lindermann complied.

Maybe he thought that people would be able to distinguish the difference, since the reverse eagle design was slightly modified? Just a thought.

Glad it worked out for you. Patience often pays. :)

yes it does pay off :)

The trouble is back in the 19th century the mint officials had this idea that all of the silver and gold coins should have the same design not matter the size. They probably would have pushed for a Liberty Seated Silver Three Cent Piece if it had been feasible.

The Twenty Cent Piece had a raised instead of incuse "LIBERTY" on the shield, a different eagle on the reverse, "20 CENTS" instead of "QUAR. DOL. and smooth as opposed to a reeded edge. That was not enough, and even a different design might not have fixed things. In the 20th century, people could not tell the difference between Susan B. Anthony and George Washington. ;)

Yes Bill,

That IS a stunner! I had or still do have lust in my heart for that coin and color you just out bid me. Also, as I'm a bit of tech-impaired so could include a link when referencing your sets so I can drool appreciately?

David

Here you are, David. BTW you won't have me as competition on the next one.

Bill Jones' complete double dime set

This coin brought back good memories ...

My father and I bought a 1875-cc 20 cent piece at auction in Anchorage alaska back around 1978....and a handful of other coins. Loved collecting with him.

Sadly his collection was stolen in 1983 when I was a sophomore in HS and I was playing a HS varsity hockey game. Someone (kids) broke in and stole all the handguns and coins and ivory art etc.

He never really collected coins again and he passed in 2010. My coins weren't stolen but they were mainly his dupes...so I still have those.

Great memories and sad memories.

Love your coin and would love to complete a 20 c set some day in lesser grade. Just to keep it mildly affordable.

Thanks for sharing that beauty and congrats on completion the set.

Anyone want to sell or trade me for comics....shoot me a pm.

Cheers