• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

searching for an 1839 N8 Cent...

5 posts in this topic

Seems that the 1839 N-8 is very hard to find for sale anywhere on the net in 65 or better. Is this simply due to the registry? I thought I remembered the Booby Head as being the "hot" one for 1839, excluding the overdate of course...

Any large cent from this era is going to be hard to find in MS-65 or better even in Brown, let alone R&B.

PCGS does not show these large cents by Newcomb variety, but in the "other than overdate, Silly Head and Booby Head" categories (e.g. head of 1838), they have only graded 6 coins in MS-65, Brown and severn coins higer with brown color. In the R&B the numbers are only 4 and 1. Bear in mind these numbers are NOT limited to N-8. There are no red ones.

You are looking for a very tough coin in this grade. I'd say you are going to wait a long time to find one in MS-65, and you might have to buy a raw one from an EAC dealer. You might never find one at all. John Wright notes that this variety is not rare, but it is expensive in AU and Mint State. He does not comment about GEM Mint State.

Bare in mind that these are not Randall Hoard coins.

I thought I remembered the Booby Head as being the "hot" one for 1839,

There are several varieties of Booby Head. Some of them are common others are very rare. But they are popular.