• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How often should NGC update their grading census? posted by LJRambo111

13 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I've been curiously watching the population report for the 2015 reverse proof Eisenhower. However 7 weeks since the release and still no results

Ok so we know there are only 17000 coins released and I know that the population report on the grading results for this coin will significantly impact the value of these coins.

Am I alone in watching this one? Does anyone feel the grading results should be updated at least on a monthly basis?

16904.jpg

See more journals by LJRambo111

I've been looking at that one as well. If it was me I'd have the grader (or an assistant) enter into the census the second the grading was done. In any event, 7 weeks delay could definitely be improved upon. At one time someone with NGC told me they upgrade American coins every Tuesday. Evidently not, at least for Eisenhower reverse proof.

It would be nice to know the update at least weekly. However, as the 70 grades report accumulates ---- the price values will drop!!

They wait till the sales are more than complete so the dealers can sell off their submissions.

I have noticed that the price of raw ungraded sealed C & C sets are starting to lower costwise. :)

Give it a little time. (thumbs u

I asked about the Truman pop report last month and they updated & posted it about 3 days later. You would think when they photo our slab & grade for the NGC Verify Certification look-up a good computer system software would update the population figures.

Here is my PF70 with a pop of 13 !

http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/index.aspx?CertNumber=2664278-001

• Administrator

Hello, LJRambo111.

The NGC Census updates weekly, but new releases are generally excluded for approximately a month. This is because many many coins may be "received" in the building at NGC but not yet graded, so the populations would appear artificially low for a new release. We wait over a month or so until the majority of the submissions received by NGC have been graded. This ensures we are providing a more accurate report of data. Thank you.

my bet is they just don't want people viewing the early numbers to think it is somehow 'rare', but then again, when the once-trusted greysheet can land in the hands of coin dealer-owners and the ANA's original grading service can be owned by inside operatives in the business, why would it be unusual for Six Mile Rick's notion to be true? I'm not sure which but I try not to convict without solid evidence, so I'll assume they are just protecting ignorant buyers in the short term.

Ali provided a reasonable explanation for new issues. They are clearly trying to avoid a reporting bias.

Well from my experience I have seen NGC rework the Census ahead of time knowing that there are certain releases coming.

Now it's been over two months since Eisenhower RP has been released and one month sine the Kennedy RP has been released. The nature of the business is making and counting labels. You would think that anyone watching these reports would be motivated to get their coins graded if they saw such a low population of 70's.

I don't get it,