• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back from the depths of obscurity-SS Republic posted by hunter's gold

11 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Kind of like my collection

Hi Everyone. It has been several months since my last post announcing the sale of my Lincoln cent collections. I have been enjoying the property I bought in north Florida with the proceeds of that sale. Whitetail deer, eastern turkeys, Florida black bears and monster hogs aplenty. Although I sold the majority of my coin collections, I have always been a collector of some sorts since I was a child. Recently I received a package out of the blue from one of the major auction houses with a surprise inside. the note told me how much they missed my business and this was a gift from them. Odyssey Marine Exploration out of Tampa, Florida recovered an amazing amount of coins and artifacts from the sidewheel steamship SS Republic which sank as it was off the coast of Georgia en route to New Orleans during hurricane in October of 1865. This is what I received as a gift. It is a master ink bottle with pouring spout. It was used to hold bulk ink prior to being poured into an inkwell. You can still see some of the crust on the inside of the bottle. Brought back from the depths of obscurity. Wish I could write my next journal entry with an old fashion ink pen and some ink from this bottle. As always, thanks for looking and Happy Collecting

16895.JPG

See more journals by hunter's gold

Go to a local golf course and pick up a few goose feathers. They make good pens. As for ink, if you are writing your banker ordinary blood works well, for other uses mix candle soot with a little ground rust and a bit of olive oil.

While your ink bottle was in use in an upper deck stateroom, this little treasure was likely locked away in a barrel below deck in the ships hold. Though the fate of our artifacts was the same on that stormy 1865 October day, they are now virtually re-united through this forum!

Gary

1112015_Full_Rev.jpg

I went out to shoot one, but the local Safeway manager said I couldn't use a rifle in the meat department....I'll try seafood.