• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cool toning on 68-S Kennedy

6 posts in this topic

I also feel like that coin was cool, lets call it "Neat". However, and I'm not trying to take away from the coin, it is neat regardless of any of this, I just scratch my head and wonder, how the heck did that coin get put in a straight grade holder? I am not even suggesting that the toning isn't anything but 100% original, I'm just saying... How? I have had countless Kennedys that were colorfully toned with very obvious end roll toning, or album toning, stuff that is very common toning on Kennedys. After a while u get a sense for what EOR toning and album toning is, and I would say that more than 50% of the time I submit those, and our gracious host here will "Details" holder these coins. .. heck I have one that is so obviously end roll toned, exactly like hundreds I've seem before, that I've sent TWICE... the last time it graded details "Stained obverse", which I sent it back and it is still stained obverse. I mean, it's so obviously EOR toning, even has a small area wheRe it literally shows the entire color spectrum like a rainbow. .. still, they say it's stained... I hoor whoever is making these rainbows with magic stain realizes how special their talents truly are... staining rainbows is quite the magic talent.

Anyways, back on track, How do I have so many coins that are very traditional-looking, obviously naturally-toned Kennedys get put in details holders, and then there are coins like this Easter egg looking neon gobstopper is passing through and getting straight graded?

I just don't understand. Is it a waste of time trying to understand it? Or is there something obvious I'm missing or what?

Again, I don't even have an opinion about whether or not the OP's pictured coin is natural or artificial... just to be clear on that. I think it's an awesome looking toned coin and I'd be happy to own it regardless of AT/NT.

Congrats. I was a watcher of that auction, curious as to where it might finish.

I actually didn't bid on it unfortunately as I was also watching where it finished. If I knew that's where it would end up, I would have put in a higher bid.