• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An obscure U.S. Grant Political Token

6 posts in this topic

USG%201868-24%20O_zpsimccojtz.jpg

USG%201868-24%20R_zpslmxfjw52.jpg

This is an obscure U.S. Grant presidential campaign token from his 1868 run. The reverse (I've called it that because the date is on the other side.) features the slogan, "Let us have peace." This slogan came from Grant's acceptance letter that he wrote the Elephant Party office after the 1868 convention nominated him for president.

This piece is listed in DeWitt / Sullivan as USG 1868-24. It is not easy to spot because the "Let us have peace" side is not pictured in the book. The dealer from whom I bought this piece missed that and listed it on his ad as "an unlisted variety." I pointed out to him that is was listed in DeWitt / Sullivan, and was able to re-negotiate the price.

I took the picture of this piece from a favorable angle. It does look like this and has this much red, but if you look at it from straight down, the surfaces are duller. I'd still call this piece "red" as part of the condition description.

Hi Paul,

It is 28 mm in diameter. That makes it roughly between the size of a quarter and a half dollar. It is also quite thick for its size,sort of like a silver dollar in that respect.