• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

200 #1 Registry Sets, #10 Overall Points, time to retire posted by Dan Hughes

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Finally hit my 200th #1 Registry Set

Years ago I had set a goal to reach 250 #1 Registry Sets and get in the top ten for overall points. I dropped that 250 down to 200 when the Royal Canadian Mint, whose coins make up a large portion of my collection, started spewing out a vast number of coins the last couple of years making it impossible, unless you're a millionaire with money to burn, to keep up with all of the new coins. I really focused on the sets this last year and a half to finish my goal. I doubt I will be able to maintain the 200 through to the beginning of December when the clock stops for the annual set competition, but I will give it my best. Starting next year I will be putting everything on eBay and sit back and just enjoy selling my coins and letting others enjoy them for a while.

See more journals by Dan Hughes

I imagine that was a lot of fun putting together!! My family has little to no (or negative) interest in my coin 'stuff' and someday I can see doing a big liquidation just to make sure it is done somewhat properly. I'll probably try to have anything left as pure bullion just to make it easier, and will hopefully enjoy the process.

Are you committed to using eBay? Would you consider en bloc selling (or even of individual pieces) off eBay in order to avoid the fees? If not, then I too will be watching for your sales.

I've always admired your sets, in my opinion your coins are the greatest collection in the registry.

I'll definitely be bidding on all of your eBay auctions!

That takes some serious dedication and funding. When you are ready to start reducing inventory, I will try to help with some of your offerings (mostly Canada and Great Britain).

Dan, I have to admit I admire your sets. They are amazing just to look through. The amount of time and resources you had to commit to this effort must have been enormous. I will be looking to pick up a few scraps from you when you finally sell these awe encompassing sets. Thank you for taking the time to photograph so many of them for all to see. I know that takes a lot of time just to create one coins entry. You have done a wonderful job to showcase so many coins. Thanks!!!