• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Over 2K dollars for a toned Kennedy?

20 posts in this topic

Hello. So, I have heard a few guys talking about how "at the height of the toned coin craze" that decently toned Kennedys would sell for near or at $1000. I could not even imagine that.... So there was a 1964 Kennedy half dollar MS66 tonight that ended on GreatCollections that sold FOR OVER $2000! Was it really just the color that made that happen? Or is there something about the coin besides the toning that inspired premium like that or what??? Just wondering if this really was all about the color or what? I would love to hear from anyone who knows anything about this coin....

Here is a link.

1964 50C MS66 TONED. Sold by GreatCollections unreserved and went over $2K!

I was watching that one. 100% Toning! It does not look to be the FS-102 or FS-801.

I too was surprised with the toning premium. All that matters is that the new owner is happy. :) Congrats to the buyer and seller.

It looks like there were several serious bidders, so the price doesn't surprise me. Of course, it depends on how one would define "serious".

Chris

It looks like there were several serious bidders, so the price doesn't surprise me. Of course, it depends on how one would define "serious".

Chris

For the price, I would have expected monster toning on the reverse as well but what do I know? :)

I really enjoy collecting Kennedy half-dollars, and I really enjoy nice toning. And that particular toning pattern is exceptionally attractive. To me, this combination of factors would lead to a a $200 price tag, but two-THOUSAND?? Wow!

It is probably why I will never have a significant toned collection, Much like James, I struggle with wrapping my mind around that price. It is like musical chairs, at some point when the music stops (you hear this hissing sound as all the hot air escapes from the bubble).....some one is going to end up with out a chair?.....But hey pretty coin

And when the color craze is over...what then?

I've seen the collector demand go in rhythmic cycles from proof Indian Head cent demand to semi-scarce SLQ's go off the charts. Seems like everything except the uber rarer dates ebbs and flows along with customer perceptions of what will be 'hot'

next...

Note: Nice coin and pretty to look at but will the next person throw 'moon money' at it again?

Perhaps they think it will upgrade. Or perhaps they are wealthy (or even not so wealthy) and it is not about the money at all - just a coin they want for their collection.

Perhaps they think it will upgrade. Or perhaps they are wealthy (or even not so wealthy) and it is not about the money at all - just a coin they want for their collection.

Perhaps, and it's their money so who am I to judge!

(thumbs u

I don't even care for the looks of the toning on that piece.

There is string ATS about how you grade and evaluate coins that you are considering for purchase. One of the responses said that "rainbow colors" were something that person valued very highly. I responded that "rainbow colors" were a big negative for me. Why? First, some of those coins are AT, but beyond that, the prices often go to the moon relative to what the coin is. History and beauty matter very much to me. While toning is often a component to beauty, when it takes the price to outrageous levels, I'm not interested.

I do not think that the market has topped at all for certain toned coins, and the willingness of the TPG's to holder some wild but (to me) questionable toned coins is really fueling the market. Personaly I don't find the linked coin attractive at all and would have stopped at $50; actually thats not quite true I would not even be a buyer of a coin like that. As someone mentioned collector tastes change and I would not want to be holding that coin when they do.

I like attractively toned coins and am willing to pay a premium for them. The obverse toning is nice, the reverse doesn't excite me. I'd be in for $100 max. I'm happy for the new owner and seller. I would love to have been the seller (thumbs u

IMO the colors on both the Kennedy and Washington are MA. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if they are AT. I certainly would not have spent that sort of money on either of those coins.

In any case, I wish the new owners well and hope they enjoy their coins.

Wow...good for the seller. I see toning and I don't even check the price because I have zero interest in what I consider a damaged coin. I appreciate they are pretty though.

These sales make me feel great about the toned coins I own, but sad that it looks like it's going to be VERY expensive to fill those holes in my type set.

The Kennedy is a great coin to me, but I think $2200 is nuts. It's tough to say without seeing it in hand, but I think I would have been in the $500 neighborhood. There was a toned Kennedy I saw at Whitman Philadelphia a couple of years ago priced at $2K (which I thought was nuts at the time) that blew this one away. I don't remember the grade, but I have since regretted not buying that coin.

I very much like the toning on the 1961 quarter - it's one of the prettiest I've seen.

Kenny, any time you want to unburden yourself of those toned coins, you know where to find me. :)

I have seen toning like that on the quarter but not that year.....very attractive but I would have been at my limit at $300

As far as the Kennedy......fantastic!!! I'm going to look and see if there is a true view. But again I would have been maxed at $1000

I once bought a coin for $570 bucks and had a fella offer me $2,000 for it.

I accepted and never looked back because I knew that the price was just too good to be true.

The cash was good, the coin was sold and it didn't mean a damned thing except that "One" fella was willing to pay two grand for the coin for whatever reasons.

That is one gorgeous 1964-P Kennedy! To find a 1964-P Kennedy with two-sided color that incredible is extremely rare. I don't think that coin is priced too high. When you consider how many 1964-P Kennedys are out there with color that incredible. NOT VERY MANY!