• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could change....

17 posts in this topic

I feel like the overwhelming majority of dealers/hitters/players/etc. in the business has a poverty mentality. The one change I would make would be to shift that poverty into an abundant mindset.

I don't want to imply that everyone out there in the business has a poverty mentality because I have met plenty of dealers who are very far from it. Not to mention sometimes I will even catch myself falling into that poverty mentality trap here and there on certain things. I imagine we all do from time to time in certain things... I'm speaking in general terms overall. Definitely the biggest change I would make

...one, and only one, aspect of coin collecting what would it be?

I would leave the hobby (of which I am in the process).

Having more top end TPGs...Thus taking the market making out of the hands of a few elite players...Over an extended period of time I see only having two TPG companies potentially a problem for collectors, and true market dynamics.

to me there would be more clinics on how to teach people the art of grading. i think its an lost art. jmo

I used to feel the same way, in fact, Early on in my journey I had some sort of chip on my shoulder because of how hard it was to find resources where I could learn the things I needed to in order to be successful as a coin dealer. All of that was before I became familiar with the ANA. Im not implying that there isn't room for more, because I feel there is a lot of room for more in the area of educating collectors and coin dealers alike, Im just saying that for me, Once I started knowing where to look, I was able to find all of the help I was looking for. For anyone who feels like they cant seem to find people willing to teach them what they are wanting to learn in the business/hobby/etc... I would start by joining the ANA and then start asking until you find what you are looking for.

If I could change just one thing about the hobby it would be a greater acceptance of lightly cleaned or hairlined coins into the mix. It just seems stupid to me that attractive, lightly cleaned coins are treated like the red headed step child while beat up low grade MS or AU coins are more desired.

Resubmissions of many issues have skewed the numbers to the degree that the published numbers on many issues are flat out fantasy. Accordingly, prices are way off also.

If lightly cleaned coins are elevated in desirability and compete head to head with BU coins, everyone wins. Additionally, the concept of market grading should all but go away.

Eliminate market grading!! TPG's should be grading coins on quality of strike, surfaces, and luster; not giving higher grades because of tarnish. If sellers want to ask high prices; and buyers are willing to pay high prices for color; that is fine just stop making that part of the grading process.