• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1929-D Standing Liberty Quarter - raw NGC says "improperly cleaned"

36 posts in this topic

Let's try one more thing.

This 1932-S quarter has been whizzed. If you have a 10X glass, and you can see this type of surface on your coin in the areas that I indicated, that is a sign that it has been improperly cleaned.

1932-DQuarterO.jpg1932-DQuarterR.jpg

That coin is actually quite close to full head, at from the too small photos that he has posted with it. If it has an ear hole, he might have case. I've seen pieces with no more detail than that get a "Full Head."

That is certainly a nice example, but obviously a much earlier die state and produced at a mint which may have actually taken pride in the coins they made that year. As to whether it has ever been dipped or not, who knows. What I can tell you is that any shadowy appearances you are seeing are due to lighting conditions and not due to variances in the fields. If you took photos of my coin, it would probably look like a different coin altogether.

Would you, Bill, or LuckyOne (sorry, don't know your name) care to offer a few moments of your 50 years experience if I sent the coin directly to you for evaluation? It would certainly save me some additional grading fees, and I might learn something along the way. I would be willing to compensate you for a small amount of your time.

These are the same reverses, just with different lighting. The 1st pic makes it look like something is definitely amiss. The 2nd is taken under more consistent lighting.

29-D%20rev_zps7zskkv9r.jpg

29-D%20rev1_zpsy2grstnq.jpg

would be happy to help at no charge, no one ever charged me for my education. I will reply privately...

I should not have used that bad lighting angle and expected you to know what it looked like in hand! Sorry.

How about this one? Any "shadows" are just because of the inconsistent lighting.It does have that mint bloom halo effect which is what that "disturbance" is coming back up through that dark area under the eagle.

29-D%20rev1_zpsy2grstnq.jpg

that 'disturbance' is what I always look for in a 2D photo- it is a good indication that the coin has original mint luster. That area is what is called 'mint bloom'. The other thing I can tell from the photo is that the die is just beginning to stress and the radial stress lines are just beginning to form, so in another several thousand coins, that 'disturbance' would be gone and there would be little sign of mint bloom, just nice brilliant stress luster in the fields. Of course, it's all deducted from a 2D photo so I could have the diagnosis wrong. Looks like a nice original near gem to my eye, beautiful piece!

Got the coin back Monday and cracked it out of the holder. (not the simplest task.)

Anyway, I think these pictures are worth thousands of words. It does give the coin a strange but good look.

85EAAF0F-6795-4C5E-90F0-A7D0DC44BCCD_zpsup8vo2re.jpg

BF7D536E-82BC-4EB1-ACF6-FA7EAB963E0E_zpsrstzdcea.jpg